What's new

Glass-backed iPhone X Said to be the “Most Breakable” Ever

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone X is Apple's most breakable, according to first drop tests.JPG

Has Apple made a mistake by giving the iPhone X an entirely glass case? Only time will tell on that one, but there are some troubling early reports of iPhone X’s shattering the first time they are dropped in drop tests, as well as in the wild.

9to5 Mac reports that insurance company SquareTrade has performed six drop tests on the iPhone X and has found it to be “the most breakable, highest-priced, most expensive to repair iPhone ever.”

SquareTrade found that the iPhone X shattered and suffered an unresponsive screen and total Face ID failure on the first Face Down Drop Test, and ensuing tests on separate iPhone X models all had similar results.

However, it seems that Apple’s claims of enhanced waterproofing for the new phone were much more accurate, as it managed to survive for 30 minutes submerged in 5 feet of water.

Judging by these tests, it looks like a case is a must for your iPhone X.

Source: iPhone X ‘the most breakable iPhone ever’ in SquareTrade drop tests [Video]

Agreed. At that price a really rugged case is a must. I am a bit amazed though at how careless some owners are. A recent article I read on a forum was from a guy complaining that he had only dropped his iPhone 8 a few times and the screen was scratched. He compared this to his iPhone 7 which he had dropped "heaps of times" and the screen was still pretty good. More money than sense if you ask me. I have had an iPhone 7 for a year or more and I have only dropped it once, and that onto carpet. The other day I saw a woman give her baby in a pusher her iPhone 8 to play with while she was waiting in a queue at the bank.

With the glass it is the slipperiest (is that a word :) ) phone I have ever handled, it's like holding a snake, I put mine straight into a cage, well case after it kept slipping off my knee, be warned a lot of cases are just as slippery and I have gone through ten to get the perfect one!