What's new

FYI: What Caused Problems

Just seen your reply after I posted above.

The photos are automatically copied to icloud. You can turn that off in your iphone at Settings/.../ icloud. See screenshot below

2BDAAB44-768C-42AE-A8C7-0BA6AE24A7C1.jpeg

>> I wish our phones still looked like they did in the 1940s, you know?
Certainly. I know exactly what you mean. When you were out, you were out!

I even have an old dial-less candlestick phone in the attic. Must have belonged to my parents or grandparents. I am tempted to find someway of connecting it up

Attachments

• 045B33AF-F204-41DC-B012-C51C6CA32FBD.jpeg
    045B33AF-F204-41DC-B012-C51C6CA32FBD.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 447
I just deleted almost 700 photos from my phone, and I literally cannot see straight! Having trouble focusing on the computer screen now.

I will bell Apple. They have a way now where the tech support person can actually see your phone, so it is almost like having the tech there in person.

Just seen your reply after I posted above.

The photos are automatically copied to icloud. You can turn that off in your iphone at Settings/.../ icloud. See screenshot below

View attachment 43452

>> I wish our phones still looked like they did in the 1940s, you know?
Certainly. I know exactly what you mean. When you were out, you were out!

I even have an old dial-less candlestick phone in the attic. Must have belonged to my parents or grandparents. I am tempted to find someway of connecting it up

Thanks. Re your candlestick phone, if you ever do get it connected, let us know! : )

I hope the Apple techies resolve your problem.

Thank you, I am sure they will help me to sort it. : )

I do not have iPad. I have a Macbook Air that is about seven years old, and I have iPhone 5s.

Sorry, I should have realised we were on the iPhone forum. Solution is the same, instal iTunes on your MacBook and plug your phone in via the charging cable, you can then backup to your MacBook.

Yes, thank you. I back up from my phone to my MacBook every time I charge the phone. Problem is one or both are backing up to iCloud which in turn is causing problems with my phone. Turning off iCloud does not help. I will have to contact Apple support one day next week.

In Settings>iCloud>iCloud Backup, is the switch turned off? With the switch turned off there should be no iCloud backups.

Last edited:
I looked in Settings>, but there is no iCloud option. I looked down the list several times. There is a settings>general> option, but I do not see iCloud there. Wherever it is, I am sure it is turned on, though.

It should be in Settings - your name (at the top of the page) - iCloud.

Oh, thank you! I completely overlooked that tiny writing beneath my name. It is off, now. Tested my phone by belling the city switchboard number. I get the message again that the number is not a working number. This is not true, and this is one of the problems I had before. I had problems that continued for months and months that I attributed to the iOS updates, but many of them turned out to be caused by iCloud. iCloud may be a good idea in theory, but I want none of it anymore. Too much aggravation.

Thanks, J.A.

D431D223-E86C-45DB-988C-E8F61829D07A.jpeg

Sorry HunnieBunnie I obviously wrongly assumed you knew where it was.

Click on the Apple ID, iCloud etc. Will bring up the previous image I uploaded.

I hope that this helps

I am a bit confused. iCloud has nothing to do with your iPhone making phone calls. Perhaps you need to contact you cellular service provider. And I understand your photo issues were an iCloud problem but that does not mean you can’t have two problem areas at the same time.

Bear7962: Me too, which is why I think that a clean install may be necessary. The symptoms suggest some deeper system interaction. (I must add that a clean install, in terms of remembering all the personal settings; ensuring that useful information, etc. is retrieved prior to a clean install, is not pleasant and would fill me with trepidation.)