What's new

Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad With Avast’s New Photo Space App

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Photo Space.JPG

Avast has unveiled a new app, Photo Space, which is designed to enable you to free up space on your iOS device. The app works by optimising photos in order to reduce the amount of storage that they occupy by seven times, thus creating photo and storage space.
“In an age where endless apps let users snap photos, mobile device storage can quickly become overwhelmed with the burden of storing hundreds, or even thousands, of videos, photos and images. With the value we place on photos, users shouldn’t have to choose between freeing space and keeping old photos”, said Avast president of mobile, Gagan Singh. “Avast survey results show that more than half of iOS users have 16GBs or less storage available on their devices, which can be easily consumed by photos and apps. With Avast Photo Space, users can free up storage on their devices without having to agonize over which photos to save and which to delete.”

The app works by lowering a photo’s resolution to device screen values, with the original, high-res version of the photo sent to your cloud account. This ensures that the quality of the original photo is preserved, but you now have more space on your phone and an easily accessible version of the photo even when you’re offline.

Avast Photo Space includes a camera app that automatically transfers, optimizes, and syncs photos via personal cloud accounts, which can shrink 7GB of photos down to 1GB.

Click here to download the free app: Avast Photo Space on the App Store

Source: Avast Software

Doesn't iCloud Photo Library do the same thing without needing a third party app?

If you enable "Optimize iPhone Storage" in Settings - Photos & Camera, the iDevice will do that automatically when it's low on space.

If you intend to use Avast Photo Space, you need Dropbox or Google Drive. You can load images to these apps directly, without using Avast. I'm wondering what the advantage of this app should be.

Last edited:
If you enable "Optimize iPhone Storage" in Settings - Photos & Camera, the iDevice will do that automatically when it's low on space.

If you intend to use Avast Photo Space, you need Dropbox or Google Drive. You can load images to these apps directly, without using Avast. I'm wondering what the advantage of this app should be.
I can't see any advantage and I'm wondering how it ever got approved since it duplicates existing capabilities in iCloud Photo Library.