What's new

Four Apps crash upon launch. 7.1.2 recently jailbroken, can't figure out a fix

lostsock

Reaction score
Hello,

I jailbroke my iPhone 4s two days ago, and I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I've checked the tweak compatibility list and don't think I have any conflicts, but any help would be appreciated. I have installed Crash Reporter, and all I get is 'AppName Crashed, there are no suspects.'

Currently the crashing apps are:
Facebook Messenger
MyFitnessPal
Google Authenticator
Sherlock: The Network.

Here is a paste bin from AppInfo: http://pastebin.com/af4PdDwQ

I don't really wish to do a full wipe and restore, but if I can't figure it out, I'll have to go to that eventually. Thank you in advance, and let me know if more information is needed.

Not seeing any issues with the info provided. Try a hard reset and see if the resource refresh helps.

Also, if possible, in Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage, sift through your crash logs and look for the ones that correspond with the time of the crashes, and paste the first 20 to 30 lines of the crash reports. Since you have a few apps that you've experienced the crashes with, you can try to look for crash logs for them in Settings.

Hard reseting shouldn't affect your data. It's similar to cold booting a computer, where you hold the power button to force it to turn off rather than the soft method of start > shut down, etc. For iOS devices, press and hold both the power and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo, then release both (if you see a white shutter, you mistimed it slightly, just retry). What a hard reset does is that it flushes your RAM and CPU caches, which solves 9 out of 10 issues. In essence, it's a restart and wiping of the cache for your device, and does not affect data at all unless it's unsaved data. You're thinking of restoring, which wipes the device completely, which is something different altogether. Hard reseting does not require computer interactions.

From the crash reports, all 4 have 'EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)' in common, which is from the lack of available RAM because the iOS is not refreshing your RAM quick enough. A hard reset will generally fix this. Because you're on 7.1.2, you'll have the Pangu Untether package version 0.3, where this is a known issue for that package, but not quite so in v0.1. Until the issue is addressed, you may want to clear out your background apps (even though it's impractical under normal circumstances) except the frequent, low-resource ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

Last edited:
Interesting. So a memory leak of sorts? Or I suppose it's more of a memory hog that won't let go.

In any event, I tried to do a hard reset twice, and unfortunately they're still crashing when I try to open them. I've also gone through and closed all the apps completely, reset, and it still crashes. Mobile's a bit stubborn, it seems. Do you have any other ideas, or should I wipe it and start from fresh?

More of a memory hog, because some objects take priority over others, and it takes time for iOS to receive "permission" to end these processes, which may exceed the refresh time, and would cause the app to timeout. If you don't want to perform a full restore, backup your data, then run Semirestore via your computer to wipe your device but retain your jailbreak, then just restore the backed up data after using Semirestore and see if that helps. Or to just get it all over with in one go, a DFU restore via iTunes would also do. You'd have to rejailbreak, but since you're not that heavily tweaked, it's a less of a hassle getting back to your current state.

Went the DFU restore way, as I'm home now and all my data is backed up on this computer. Seems to be working so far, just waiting for the rest of the apps to transfer. Then I'll rejailbreak, and test the apps with each tweak I install to find the issue. Thanks for your help!

Went the DFU restore way, as I'm home now and all my data is backed up on this computer. Seems to be working so far, just waiting for the rest of the apps to transfer. Then I'll rejailbreak, and test the apps with each tweak I install to find the issue. Thanks for your help!

No problem, let us know if that resolves the issue.

Seems to have worked well. I haven't reinstalled every tweak I had, as with each one I put in, I check that the apps work. But thank you, my phone's up and going again!