What's new

First iPhone: My Impressions of the 5c

WriteAway

Reaction score
New member here, so Hello anyone reading.

I've been using my new 5c with ATT since mid-August (2014) and here are just some thoughts of this phone and everything Apple that I've discovered:

iPhones are a new ball game for me, since I've taken the prepaid (Tracfone) route for the past several years. I actually wanted a Motorola Moto X. but my significant other badgered me into going with the 5c to be on the same plan as she and our college-bound daughter. I am now somewhat used to the Apple way of operating, but it still confounds me with seemingly illogical methods of doing tasks.

I wanted a black phone, but didn't have that choice with the 5c, so I chose a white phone from Target, now protected with a black Otterbox Commuter case. It is a perfect size for use as a phone, but the keys are still too small for fast mistake-free texting. Auto-correct is very helpful for that.

Calls on the ATT network are clear and the phone has good sound for an old(er) guy who's listened to one rock song too many. The phone/ATT frequently glitches or freezes during FaceTime use, I'm not sure which to blame for that.

The camera takes decent photos, but I find myself taking 3-6 shots with the very sensitive shutter switch instead of one good one. Battery life seems very short (about a day between charges) compared to the 3 days of my last Tracfone. Charging is quicker, which makes me happier.

I have no problem with the sharpness, color or brightness of the screen in use. Going to my first touch screen required a little adjustment, but the tiny slider switches are just too small and hard to use for my not-huge hands. I'll adjust.

The Apple software and App Store apps range from wonderful to ehhh... Google Maps and Mapquest have proven themselves on a few trips already. Safari browser has been supplemented by Chrome, which I'm most familiar with.

I guess the 5c is the perfect phone for me and my life right now. I may still gripe to my wife about it, but at least I'm in touch with my family and can have some fun along the way. I will probably outgrow the 5c in two years, and it is about to be vastly eclipsed by the iPhone 6, but for now Apple has given me a most suitable phone.

Welcome to iPhoneForums...Congrats on your new iPhone. ENJOY

Welcome to iPhoneForums...Congrats on your new iPhone. ENJOY

Thanks! I don't yet understand why I can't keep old text messages when I want to send a new message to a family member. Am I still missing something regarding messaging?

Hello,
Welcome to the forum, Soon we will have IOS 8 and SwiftKey will be in the App Store, This might help you with your keyboard issues as it's simply THE best keyboard out there.

Hello,
Welcome to the forum, Soon we will have IOS 8 and SwiftKey will be in the App Store, This might help you with your keyboard issues as it's simply THE best keyboard out there.
Thank you. My fingers are just a bit too large for fast typing on even the horizontal layout. I'll just have to rely on autocorrect most of the time.

Thank you. My fingers are just a bit too large for fast typing on even the horizontal layout. I'll just have to rely on autocorrect most of the time.
SwiftKey learns what you type then all you have to do is touch the word you want and it puts the whole word in the text, This cuts down on the amount of typing you need to do, I believe there's a swipe option too but I haven't tried that yet.