What's new

Firmware Suggestion

SomberHaris

Reaction score
Hey.
I got an iPhone 4 on 4.1 firmware.
Was handed over to me by my dad.
The shop where the phone was purchased from mentioned it's a factory unlocked set but it's got cydia so I guess its jailbroken.
Any suggestions what firmware I should upgrade it to?
Or should I just connect it to iTunes and upgrade it from there?
HELP!

well you really only have a choice out of one firmware which is the latest one (5.0.1)

But I would check the baseband of the device because it sounds to me like it could be jailbroken and unlocked and not factory unlocked.. but having cydia does not always mean it has been unlocked as well so open cydia and search for ultrasn0w and see if it has been installed on your device, If it has it means you do not have a factory unlocked device

Hey.
I got an iPhone 4 on 4.1 firmware.......

Somber.... I've got version 4.1 on my 1 year-old iPhone, and that particular version is rock solid. It has a reputation for reliability, as far as I've read and personally experienced. I could "upgrade" to ver. 5 like many, but why? Why fix something if it's not broke.

well you really only have a choice out of one firmware which is the latest one (5.0.1)

But I would check the baseband of the device because it sounds to me like it could be jailbroken and unlocked and not factory unlocked.. but having cydia does not always mean it has been unlocked as well so open cydia and search for ultrasn0w and see if it has been installed on your device, If it has it means you do not have a factory unlocked device

Well I just checked and I checked the Sources. It does have Ultrasn0w on the sources but its not INSTALLED on the device yet. So does that mean its jailbroken?

Somber.... I've got version 4.1 on my 1 year-old iPhone, and that particular version is rock solid. It has a reputation for reliability, as far as I've read and personally experienced. I could "upgrade" to ver. 5 like many, but why? Why fix something if it's not broke.

Well problem is there are a some important apps that needs a firmware upgrade, also if i put that aside my battery life isn't that good and sometimes the applications crash. So isn't the upgrade a good option?

Also I'm figuring out if its jailbroken or not. Got cydia but doesn't got that Ultrasn0w installed on it as I just mentioned above.

Well I just checked and I checked the Sources. It does have Ultrasn0w on the sources but its not INSTALLED on the device yet. So does that mean its jailbroken?

that is a very good thing.. now tap on settings > general and about and tell me what it says next to modem firmware:

but the fact that you are using the device and ultrasn0w is not installed most likely means that it is just jailbroken and NOT unlocked.. the fact you have cydia means it is jailbroken but dont mistake jailbreak and unlock for the same thing. Jailbreak gives you the ability to install any app that apple does not allow into the app store and the ultrasn0w app is what unlocks the device to use any gsm carrier so that not being installed is a good sign.

sounds like its legit to me and if it is, that means you can simply upgrade firmware and not worry about the device locking up again but make sure there is no gevey sim or anything like that on the sim tray and just restore in itunes and you will be good to go.

that is a very good thing.. now tap on settings > general and about and tell me what it says next to modem firmware:

but the fact that you a........ there is no gevey sim or anything like that on the sim tray and just restore in itunes and you will be good to go.

Hey.
Well it says 02.10.04 infront of the Modem Firmware.

And yes that's what got me confused that the receipt the shop guy gave had showed its Factory Unlocked so you know, and it was pin-packed . I'll confirm this again that in 'Sources' the source repo666.ultrasn0w.com is there but in 'Packages' theres no such thing as Ultrasn0w.

SO I should just go for a normal upgrade through 5.0.1? Sure it won't give any problems?
And you mean I should take my SIM card out before doing the firmware update?

Hey.
Well it says 02.10.04 infront of the Modem Firmware.

And yes that's what got me confused that the receipt the shop guy gave had showed its Factory Unlocked so you know, and it was pin-packed . I'll confirm this again that in 'Sources' the source repo666.ultrasn0w.com is there but in 'Packages' theres no such thing as Ultrasn0w.

SO I should just go for a normal upgrade through 5.0.1? Sure it won't give any problems?
And you mean I should take my SIM card out before doing the firmware update?

no dont worry about taking out the sim.. just upgrade in itunes and you will be fine

yes... you are factory unlocked so it makes no difference what modem firmware you are using :)

So how did it go, Somber...? Any glitches you encountered?

Well I was all set but my PC crashed. And I asked a friend and he said there's no proper jailbreak for 5.0.1 yet so I should go for 4.3.5.
SO I'll be doing that now. What do you think?