What's new

FaceTime??

dc77

Reaction score
Does anyone no how much Internet useage FaceTime uses ??

Since u have to be on WiFi to use it, it dosent use any data
This is true... unless the OP is JB and using a tweak to FaceTime over 3G. If that's the case... then I've red several reports (haven't done this myself btw) that it doesn't use any more data than streaming a YouTube video or watching Netflix over 3G.

Since u have to be on WiFi to use it, it dosent use any data

It still uses data, it's just the data is attached to your wifi allowance. A lot of people in the UK have 10GB allowances on their wifi. So using FaceTime through this although face-time probably uses as bab states will eventually use this 10GB up. Unless of course you're in an open wifi area where of course it doesn't matter, as it's not your wifi then

iHolophyte

Last edited:
A lot of people have a limit on their home Internet here. My parents have a limit of 7GB per month on their home Internet. We have 120GB which is a lot but is still capped at that amount. You can go over of course but you end up being charged the ridiculous amount of 1c per MB or they slow you down to dial-up speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very interesting! I suppose it's a possibility for there to be these types of internet providers here in the States... just none of them are in my area. To get back w/ the OP question, and w/ bab providing the math for usage, it would take quite a bit of Facetime to soak up even the 10GB of Broadband internet iHolo mentioned. However, if the OP was using Facetime over their 3G via a Jailbreak tweak... it wouldn't take too awful long to hit the 200MB (smallest data package w/ At&t) to 2GB+ that most Stateside wireless carriers offer in data.

I am on 10gb wifi a month.

So w/ bab2010's calculations in a post above... you'd have to use 55+ hours of FaceTime to reach 10GB. That is of course w/o your using your internet for anything else.

That's about 2days 7h crhono without any break of even 1mn 😁