What's new

Facetime over long distances?

lexywright454

Reaction score
I have only ever used the app to contact people in the near by area (as in 30 miles at the most) and was curious to see if FaceTime worked for long distance calls. My brother is stationed in Germany (he has a 3 year term there) and I would defiantly advise him to get the iPod 4 if I knew I could speak to him over this many miles. I realize FaceTime works off wifi - but my curiosity will eat at me otherwise.

Yes it will work no matter his position in the world, provide he is having an iPhone 4 or a 3gs maybe and most importantly he have a wifi or a data package/3G connection on the phone.

Only iPhone 4's, the newest iPod touch (4th gen) and the new iPad 2 support FaceTime.

All you need is a wifi connection and you can FaceTime any of the above devices from any of the above devices anywhere in the world for free (excluding the wifi cost of course)...

Can facetime work for example, i'm using Iphone4 and the one i want to call uses Ipod 4gen?

Yep, I read somewhere that it will work. But how are you going to call an iPod if it doesn't have a phone number? Video call on iPhone use your contact phone number to call, but on iPod I have no clue how it works.

Can facetime work for example, i'm using Iphone4 and the one i want to call uses Ipod 4gen?

Yep, I read somewhere that it will work. But how are you going to call an iPod if it doesn't have a phone number? Video call on iPhone use your contact phone number to call, but on iPod I have no clue how it works.

you facetime using the contacts email. on both devices.

you facetime using the contacts email. on both devices.

Ah okey then. I didn't know that and thanks for the information.

For iPhone 4 you use their number to FaceTime and for iPad 2 and iPod 4 you use an email. I recommend if using FaceTime with another person using an iPhone 4 who is in a different country to go into contacts and click on the person you wish to FaceTime with and click FaceTime at the bottom of their contact page. The other way of doing it is to first phone them and then click FaceTime icon on the screen however doing it this way will cost you international rates for the first few seconds as you are making an international call then switching to FaceTime. The first method is better as you can find out if they are in a wi fi zone without having to ask them. The phone will say that the person is unavailable for FaceTime if they are not in wifi.

Rhys

I get it. But what if you want to call someone that uses Ipod 4gen and you're using Iphone4? You can't call Ipod 4gen because it has no number, they use email address for facetime, right?

Yeah that's a good question I'm also wondering what the answer is. Face call from iPhone 4 to iPod 4. On the iPhone only carrier number is used to face time. on the iPod only email address is used. How do they work together?

I not entirely sure phone numbers and email addresses is all that's used for FaceTime. I think they are used more for identification proposes (so you know your calling the right iPhone/pod/pad).

I'm just guessing here but I think since FaceTime is soley for apple devices they use some sort or serial number. The phone number or email address is registered to that serial number so the device makes the connection...

I not entirely sure phone numbers and email addresses is all that's used for FaceTime. I think they are used more for identification proposes (so you know your calling the right iPhone/pod/pad).

I'm just guessing here but I think since FaceTime is soley for apple devices they use some sort or serial number. The phone number or email address is registered to that serial number so the device makes the connection...

My friend have an iPod he's on wifi at home every evening I'm making skype video call with him sometimes when the Internet connection with skype is strong enough, most of the time it's only skype call we making. Tell me how can I call him on his iPod 4? I'm having an iPhone 4.

Just add their email address to their contact. You friend will need to have FaceTime set up on their iPod to that email address.

I call my daughters iPod all the time and she can also call me...

Just add their email address to their contact. You friend will need to have FaceTime set up on their iPod to that email address.

I call my daughters iPod all the time and she can also call me...

Ok then, I got it. So when I go to the calling app on my phone I willselect the contact tab, then navigate to my contact, tap on it simply or tap on the arrow at the right of the contact which will get me another page with my contact different information? And there I touch the email address to make the face time call? Actually when I try taping the email, it always take me to the email app, and when I just tap on the contact name, it just dial my contact phone number which is a droid phone. So I still can't figure out what I'm missing.

I spoke to my family in Italy and it work just like they were next door to me.