What's new

Extremely slow

Strongbow

Reaction score
My iPhone 5 appears to be suffering from a terminal illness . . It's slowed down to a crawl despite having deleted 80% of content and switching to airplane mode . . just now I'm having difficulty even entering 'settings' to reset it as a last resort . . is it near death or caught up in a loop of some sort ?

Try a hard reset, Hold down your on/off button and Home button together until the apple appears then let go, this will reboot your phone and may help.

Thank you . . have tried that without success

A few more things you should take a look at/try:

Make sure your device is up to date. The latest software version is iOS 8.3.

Restart your device: turn it off and on again.

Disable Background App Refresh in Settings - General, also disable Automatic Downloads for Music, Apps, Books and Downloads.

Restore from a backup, and if that doesn't help: erase it and set it up as new.

How old is your iPhone ? I ask because a 5 can be almost 3 years old. Your battery may be coming to the end of its life. If you can get to an Apple Store they can test that for you.

The trouble is with the above advice is that the OP is having problems getting into Settings in order to perform a Reset ect .

So how old is your iphone5?
Its about 3 years old now . . I've deleted almost everything including facebook, google and gmail . . there are about 300 pics left that it won't delete . . I still can't get into settings . .

I replaced the battery 1 year ago . . I would be delighted if that is the solution . . the battery charges to full and I wasn't aware that the battery could affect the processing speed . . I hope you're right :) . . thank you

I replaced the battery 1 year ago . . I would be delighted if that is the solution . . the battery charges to full and I wasn't aware that the battery could affect the processing speed . . I hope you're right :) . . thank you
I don't think its your battery, A worn out battery doesn't make the iDevice slower, but it does affect how long people can use their iDevice before having to find the power cord.

This malfunction seems to be tied up with the processing speed . . It makes an effort to get into settngs for about 10 seconds and then gives up . . I must admit that I had been using storage to the limit before this ! . . iPhone 5s aren't prone to viruses . . or are they ? . .

This malfunction seems to be tied up with the processing speed . . It makes an effort to get into settngs for about 10 seconds and then gives up . . I must admit that I had been using storage to the limit before this ! . . iPhone 5s aren't prone to viruses . . or are they ? . .
I can't see it being a virus, you could take it to an Apple store and get a diagnostics.