What's new

Emergency use only after update.

Keithm

Reaction score
Let me first say I am a rookie and I may have made a rookie mistake.

I have a 3s, A1241. My wife had this phone on AT&T. I wanted to use it on straight talk. In order to do that I had to unlock it and install a straight talk sim. First she wanted me to save her photos to my pc, which I did, it also said so 4.2 was available, so I updated, or at least attempted to. A window popped up that said backing up, which took about 4 hrs after which a window in iTunes opened that said, we're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time. The phone has no app icons on it except for an I tunes icon. Which won't do anything, there is also a window that says. No SIM card installed, insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate iPhone.

So have I killed it?

If it really was backing up the phone for 4 hours, where is it on my PCM and how do I reload it?

Or can that even be done?

Will installing a straight talk sim allow the phone to complete an update?

Evasion worked great on my iPad as long as you stay away from 6.1.3 , but apparently it won't do anything with 4.2

I could use some help, this is very new to me so a step by step would be very helpful.

Thanks
Keith

You'll need to unlock your 3G first. You can use UltraSn0w to unlock it. Since you don't have an original SIM, you'll need to hacktivate it.

For the 3G, use UltraSn0w to jailbreak and hacktivate it at the same time. Hacktivating bypasses the setup process which you're stuck on and allows you a small window to access the device, which you'll need to use to access Cydia and get UltraSn0w on your device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't believe an Unlock is necessary to use an AT&T iPhone on Straight Talk. Only a change of a few APN settings for data and MMS is required.

so i assume that since i cant accdess anything on the phone i down load ultrasnow to my pc and then plug in the phone?

Ahhh.... Thinking about the 4S. If the straight talk account is activated, you shouldn't have an activation problem.

I haven't activated it yet, I was on their website, following their instructions, they only said an unlocked gsm phone, then install their sim then use an activation card. Wish they would have said something about not needing to do that to an AT&T phone before I wiped it.

You'll need an active line on your straight talk SIM in order to use it to activate your device

so will installing the sim get my firmware back up and going

It should as long as its activated