What's new

Emails deleted in Outlook not deleted on Iphone

robd1

Reaction score
Total iphone newb here guys. Yesterday I finally got my wife’s iphone 6+ synced with outlook 10. Through Itunes, I successfully got the contacts moved from outlook to the phone, all the emails on the showed up on the phone, sent/received a test email and it appeared on both computer and phone, all was good. Earlier today she deleted a ton of emails in outlook on the computer but none of them are deleted on the iphone. What am I missing? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Rob

I set it up as POP, it's a regular Comcast email account and I didn't really know what IMAP was.

A POP account doesn't sync. The thing to keep in mind with POP is whether a device (iPhone, iPad, or Outlook) is configured to delete mail from the server. If it does, then no other device will be able to download that email after it's first downloaded - it's no longer there to download. For POP accounts, I personally want all my email to show up in Outlook on my home computer, but like to be able to also have it download to my phone during the day while I'm away. So my iPhone is set up to leave emails on the server, and then Outlook is set to delete them from the server. This is not an ideal way to manage email for most people using multiple devices.

IMAP does allow a form of syncing. Here's a pretty good article on the differences, and an accompanying article on switching from POP to IMAP:

IMAP vs POP3