What's new

Elementry IPhone backup help needed

ccm

Reaction score
I have an IPhone 4 and found out the hard way that I need to keep it backed up. I know almost nothing about Apple products so I need a little education on back ups. It appears to me that there are two ways to backup my phone. One is via ICloud and the other is via ITunes. I do have an ITunes account but have only used it for music downloads. OK, here are my questions:

Do I need to backup using both methods? I have read that when you backup via ICloud the backup does
not backup all info on the phone.

Can someone here walk me through, step by step, how to set up my phone and PC to do these backups?

If someone out there can give me a little basic education it would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Back up your iPhone
backup_hero.jpg

This page has everything you need to know so you can make an iPhone backup from start to finish. You’ll also find out how to restore your data from a backup if you already have one.

Why back up?
When you back up your iPhone, your data is safe. You can restore your phone to the way you had it the last time you made a backup, or move your data to a new iPhone.

What’s in a backup?
A backup includes all the personal content and settings you need to completely restore your iPhone. Certain things like iTunes purchases or photos might not be in your actual backup file. This happens when they’re already stored on Apple servers, or if you originally synced them from your computer. These items will automatically sync back to your device when you restore, so your iPhone will be set up just like it was before.

backup_to_cloud.jpg

Back up to the cloud
Use iCloud to back up wirelessly to the cloud. When you do, your iPhone will back up overnight when you’re not using it. Just be sure it’s on Wi-Fi and charging. Turn backups on in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup.

backup_to_computer.jpg

Back up to your computer
Use iTunes to back up to your computer. To do so, plug your iPhone into your computer. When you do, iTunes will either start a backup for you, or you can manually start one. Do this by clicking your iPhone and choosing Back Up Now.

icloud_itunes.jpg

Not sure which way to back up?
restore.jpg

Restore from a backup or move your data
You can restore your phone to the way you had it the last time you made a backup, or move your data to a new iPhone.

Need help restoring from a backup?