What's new

Dual Band Router

xrayeyes

Reaction score
Which band will an iPhone 6 connect to if a dual band router is available?

Here's the situation. My dad is in an assisted living facility with internet service available. Of course, I do not have access to the router or their IT department. I am trying to set up a Harmony Hub and it connects to wifi but the app does not see the hub. (does not connect to internet???)

The facility only has one network available on my phone to choose from, but on some other devices in my dad's room I have seen as many as 3 or 4. However, none of them are labeled for the Ghz. Harmony support is telling me that my phone is connecting to 5Ghz while at the facility, but the Hub only connects to 2.4Ghz, so they are not talking to each other.

This is one of the troubleshooting items on the Harmony Hub page:
  • If you have a 2.4GHz and 5GHz compatible router, try connecting your mobile device to the 2.4GHz network. Harmony Hub is not compatible with 5GHz Wi‑Fi frequencies.

As I said, I have no way of configuring the router. Does my iPhone connect to 5Ghz if several bands are available? And if so, is there any way to find that out or any way to locate which band the facility router is sending out so I can choose a different band?

Is there a reason for the harmony hub? Most, if not all modern hubs are dual band and have multiple antennas with beam forming capability which increases the signal strength in the direction of the phone for better results.

Do you know what a Harmony Hub is? The reason is that my dad can no longer figure out how to use his tv remote, but he has an Amazon Echo that he tries to ask her to turn on the TV!

I thought the Harmony Hub was a WiFi router, now I know differently. It looks like the Harmony Hub connects to your WiFi router and seems to be a universal remote control unit.

Have you followed the setup instructions here:

Harmony Hub

If the router that is giving the facility wifi only sends out 5GHz, and your harmony hub only sees 2.4GHz, then yeah, they wont work together.

Yes, your phone will connect to 5GHz.

Typically (I'm no network technician or expert, but have been in and around it all my life) a router wont show the GHz unless it is sending out both signals. For example, my home network sends out 5GHz and 2.4GHz, so when you come to my house, 2 names show up, both same name, but one says 2.4 after it, and the other 5.

That being said, I've never seen a 5GHz router that only sends 5GHz signal. Plenty of 2.4GHz routers only send 2.4GHz, but I've never seen a 5GHz only router.

My router is dual band, but when I introduced my MacBook, I had to separate the two bands, so that it could choose one of them. Both my iPads, my iPhone and the Mac prefer the 2.4 Ghz band.

I am guessing that the facility may be sending out both bands, and the Hub is connecting to 2.4Ghz. Evidently there isn't a way to see which band my phone is connecting to however. At this point I am not sure it's a dual band issue. It may be filters ascribed by the facility (that I have no control over).

I have since learned that I can pay for the more expensive Elite or Ultimate Hub Remote and it will indicate which network the hub connecting to. I'm not able to pay that price, so this all may be a fail. My dad's confused state worsens very quickly and I had hoped to get this set up for him for a while, but he may not even be able to use the Alexa much longer.

Thanks for the help.