What's new

Downloading tones

alant

Reaction score
hello,
On my past Android phones, I had downloaded tones directly onto my phone via the Zedge app. I tried that on my iPhone the other day and it wouldn’t let me. It said something to the effect that it has to go though iTunes to get onto the phone. I haven’t used iTunes for anything like that. Do I really need to?

Getting a ringtone from Zedge to your iPhone without iTunes won’t work.

Is that the same for all sources of ringtones?

You can also buy ringtones in the iTunes Store on your iPhone. They will automatically appear in your sounds.

You need three pieces of software.
1. Sound editing software to edit the volume and length of the sound clip you want to use. The highest volume without distortion and a maximum length of 30 seconds is what you want.
2. Software to convert the result of number 1 to an .M4R Apple ringtone file.
3. iTunes to get the ringtone onto the iPhone.
It took a good amount of experimentation to get it all to work but once you figure it out itt becomes easy.
Good luck.

I decided to purchase one from iTunes on my iPhone. It asks to set as default ringtone default text tone, or assign to a contact. I want to use it as a calendar alert though (either ical or gcal). Is that possible?

Yep it’s possible. Go to Settings, Sounds and Haptic and select calendar tone. As seen here
0DC47DDD-B0D3-41FD-AB22-82DC7CA52C87.jpeg

As you see there are some of my ringtones from iTunes. Hope this helps. Good day

Edited - email address on screenshot has been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. I see that now. When I go to purchase it and it asks set as "default ringtone" "default text tone", or "assign to a contact" is where I'm stuck. I already have my default ring tone and text tone set, which I want to keep. How do I get it on the phone without over writing these 2 defaults? I want to get it specifically into the calendar alerts list.

Just figured out o click done instead of selecting it as a default to something. I set it as my calendar alert. It’s not making the sound though. All I changed was the cal tone to my new one.

If you are using iTunes you can import the music/sound file as a .m4a, trim it to length saving the trimmed version as a second name, manually change the extension to .m4r, copy it to your ringtone directory (under the iTunes media folder) and it will be available to sync to your iPhone.

I’m not using iTunes and am just doing everything directly on my phone