What's new

Downgrading to an IOS < IOS7 on Iphone 4S

PVK

Reaction score
I have gone through may threads in the forum, checked upon a lot of websites, looked up everywhere and watched many, many Youtube videos but have not found any reliable answer whether it is possible or not. Too many contradicting answers and some go back a long way here

Some say that the IOS's that you can download from Apple official network will work if and only if you use the Iphone it was made for and others say it won't work...signed versions and unsigned versions..blobs...etc ...etc..

I just don't know what to believe and I'm afraid to just test it out right now because if it fails it would probably upgrade it to an even higher IOS that I really do not want at all.

Has anyone on the forum successfully downgraded their Iphone to an ulterior IOS ? I'd be happy to hear about the way to do this without too much hassle

I hate the display from the IOS 7 and above...and I can live without the apps designed for the new IOS's ...just want my old display back, what did they have in mind changing it like that and not ven giving you the opportunity to keep the display you like?

So, if there is a way...I'd be a very happy camper to read the modus operandi

The only software version signed by Apple right now is 10.2. It's not possible to go to a different iOS than that. We had enough members trying to revert to an iOS not signed by Apple, it resulted in error 3194, or worse.

My iPad 3 (same processor as the 4S but higher end - more cores - graphics) is painfully slow on the latest version. I don't think the 4S is able to update to any version 10 iOS which is a good thing, I think performance would be miserable.

I have downgraded 2 my 4s to ios 6.1.3 from 8.2 and 9.0. Ios 6.1.3 is the only you able to downgrade to and you need jailbreak on you current ios to do that. Google OdysseusOTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: PVK
Even if that's possible:
If the iPhone 4s is up to date, you can't jailbreak it. There's no jailbreak for iOS 9.3.5.

Reactions: PVK
So basically...I'm stuck ... my 4S is on IOS 9.3.5

But thank you for your comments

I enjoyed watching the OysseusOTA tube ...this gentleman managed to do exactly what I'd like to have done and the "vintage" display I'd like so much to see again.

Unless anyone else has a way of doing this...

So...the IOS included here: Download iPhone Software (IPSW firmware files)
and in this thread dated Oct 2012: Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPhone

Can not be used for a re-install via Itunes I suppose?

When reading all posts and informations I understand that Apple does not "sign" these for equipments they were not made for so for example you can't use IOS 6.1.3 on an Iphone 5 and above or Iphone 3 and previous models. SO, I should be able to use it on my 4S , right? Or am I completely of tracks here?

A few years ago, it was possible to downgrade to a different software version than the ones signed by Apple. Now, the installation process includes a connection to Apple's servers. That's one of the reasons why iTunes needs a reliable internet connection: so that Apple's servers can verify the iOS you're trying to install. If they notice you're trying to get a different iOS, you'll get an error and it will be impossible to proceed.

The thread in your second link doesn't help, in your case.

Last edited:
And you can use ios 6 on iphone 5 but you cant install it now coz apple will not sign it.

Well...thanks for your answers valued members of this forum
It looks that I'll have to put up with the IOS 9.3.5 then...frustrating
What is it for Apple that I want the original stuff back on my phone? Honestly...it's my phone and I'm allowed to do with it what I want, it is not as if I'm renting it from them ...alas...modern marketing I guess

Well...thanks for your answers valued members of this forum
It looks that I'll have to put up with the IOS 9.3.5 then...frustrating
What is it for Apple that I want the original stuff back on my phone? Honestly...it's my phone and I'm allowed to do with it what I want, it is not as if I'm renting it from them ...alas...modern marketing I guess
You do own your iPhone and can do anything you want with the hardware but you don't own the operating system and Apple controls what you can do with that operating system.

The only software for your device that is still signed by Apple is iOS 9.3.5, and that’s the reason why your iPhone wants to update.

That’s also the only iOS that can be installed on your iDevice, reverting to a different software is not possible. If you try installing something else but the iOS signed by Apple, you’ll get error 3194, and won’t be able to proceed.

It should be possible to stay on 9.3.1, though. It’s possible that you get those requests because the software has already been downloaded to your device, but it’s not installed yet. Go to Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Manage Storage, find the update file, and remove it.

Hope that helps.

I went to General/About and my Version is iPhone4,1_9.3.1_13E238_Restore.ipsw is there a way to restore to iPhone4,1_6.1.3_10B329_Restore.ipsw or before?

And is there a way and have my iPhone stop asking me to upgrade to iPhone4,1_9.3.5_13G36_Restore.ipsw I just don't want to happen to me.
Apple is still signing iOS 6.1.3 for the iPhone 4s and the first version of the iPad 2. You have to download the iOS 6.1.3 file to your computer and do the downgrade through iTunes. iOS 6.1.3 still signed by Apple
If you're using a Mac, hold down the option key while clicking on the update button. From the pop up select the iOS 6.1.3 file and click on it. The rest of the process is as normal. I've done this with my iPhone 4s and it does work.

It should be possible to stay on 9.3.1, though. It’s possible that you get those requests because the software has already been downloaded to your device, but it’s not installed yet. Go to Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Manage Storage, find the update file, and remove it.
Thank you but I seen a lot of other files there to how can they be installed?

Apple is still signing iOS 6.1.3 for the iPhone 4s and the first version of the iPad 2. You have to download the iOS 6.1.3 file to your computer and do the downgrade through iTunes. iOS 6.1.3 still signed by Apple
If you're using a Mac, hold down the option key while clicking on the update button. From the pop up select the iOS 6.1.3 file and click on it. The rest of the process is as normal. I've done this with my iPhone 4s and it does work.
I have a PC with Windows 7 and I have iTunes installed.