What's new

double email notifications?

rm6keith

Reaction score
I am getting double email notifications. I use G mail email and Calendar and they are sync'd fine. The phone shows six unread emails, but when I click the email icon, there is really only 3.

The # of emails notification appears on my email icon, then a few seconds later I get my regular new email sound, and the number doubles. Example: my phone beeps, and I see there is 3 new emails......then a few seconds later, my phone beeps, and I see 6 new emails. I open my email, and there is really only 3 emails, not six?

Farther investigation shows two identical email accounts; TWO in boxes! I have searched all over to see if I can delete one, but they only seem to be in my actual email section (where the inbox and trash ect are).

I downloaded the latest version to see if this was the problem (4.2.1).

What should I do?

Last edited:
FIXED!!!
For anyone else with the problem. I went into settings; Mail, Contacts, Calendars; Accounts; then turned off one of the "mail" options on my two email accounts.
One account is for email.
One account is for syncing my calendar.

Still not sure how it changed my settings on its own? Could be aliens.

Last edited:
I "suddenly" started receiving double emails in my iphone for my gmail account too.

I went into SETTINGS; then to MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS;
I saw that I had two accounts for the same email address. (Not sure how the duplicate gmail account got set up on my phone???)

Delete the duplicate account.

Ta da...no more duplicate emails or duplicate notifications.