What's new

does resetting make me loose the unlock???

YANNISS2009

Reaction score
thanx for your time to read this.

i have unlocked iphone 4 version 4.0.2 baseband 1.59 . if i reset to a factory setting will i loose the unlock . and i have to do it again ? thanx .

i have unlocked iphone 4 version 4.0.2 baseband 1.59 . if i reset to a factory setting will i loose the unlock . and i have to do it again ? thanx .

Yes, if you restore you will havetoo use the guide to preserve the baseband so you can still use ultrasn0w.

thanx danny always here for us thanx / i will reset and start from zero jailbreaking and unlocking.

If your phone had 4.0.2 with 1.59 then no need to preserving anything, it will bring it to the original state, then do the jail/unlock as mentioned above. But I found that resetting a jailbroken/unlocked phone sometimes can cause your phone to lock, which will force you to upgrade to 4.1. I would go to cydia and select on make my life easier function this way it will save you shsh blobs in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Quoting DEV Team:

"The biggest mistake you can make (and it is a big one!) is lettings iTunes restore to the official IPSW — you’ll lose the unlock and won’t be able to go back! You must use Option-Restore, not just the Restore button by itself. Then navigate to your custom IPSW — not to the stock one!"

Now, having in my case Jb and unlocked 4.01 my question is: what is meant by custom IPSW? I have saved all my shsh blobs from the virgin phone to Cydia etc, before jb and unlocking. I have subsequently downloaded firmware for 4.01 from apple site to my PC (is this not stock firmware?..)

When shift + restore under tiny umbrella server, what is one supposed to use as custom IPSW? This, I beliebe, is of general user interest, i.e. having secured a functional jailbroken and unlocked state, what must one do to back it up and safely return to it at any time. Or, alternatively, how to back up and revert to a pre-jb pre-unlock virgin iphone state using restore. ( So one can hapily and carefree venture and experiment into unknown teritory )

I know, the ingredients of the answer to my question are strewn among relevant sites, but so far, I have failed to find a concise step by step foolproof guideline.

Yes, if you restore you will havetoo use the guide to preserve the baseband so you can still use ultrasn0w.

yes if you Restore. Also there is a function in your phone called RESET, I think many people confuse the two.