What's new

Does iPhone X get too hot?

MarkRiPhoneX

Reaction score
I just purchased an iPhone X. My phone gets pretty hot ... when using it and especially when wirelessly charging it. My car ('17 Camry) has a built-in QI charger. But, the iPhone X gets hot enough to cause my car's charger to get an error (shutting down the charging). I know that it is the physical temperature of the phone because if I cool off the phone for a few minutes (using the car's AC), and turn the car off/on (to clear the error), the phone charges again fine (until it gets too hot again).

Anybody else have this problem? I can exchange this new iPhone for another iPhone X (if I act fast). What are the chances that I would have the same problem again?

Thanks, Mark

P.S. I have an iPhone 8 Plus as well... and that phone does not get hot and has no problem getting charged by the QI car charger.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

My iPhone X doesn‘t have any problems at all when it‘s charging. This shouldn‘t happen with your device. It‘s possible that there‘s a problem with the hardware. Take it to Apple, they can tell you exactly what‘s causing your issue.

I just purchased an iPhone X. My phone gets pretty hot ... when using it and especially when wirelessly charging it. My car ('17 Camry) has a built-in QI charger. But, the iPhone X gets hot enough to cause my car's charger to get an error (shutting down the charging). I know that it is the physical temperature of the phone because if I cool off the phone for a few minutes (using the car's AC), and turn the car off/on (to clear the error), the phone charges again fine (until it gets too hot again).

Anybody else have this problem? I can exchange this new iPhone for another iPhone X (if I act fast). What are the chances that I would have the same problem again?

Thanks, Mark

P.S. I have an iPhone 8 Plus as well... and that phone does not get hot and has no problem getting charged by the QI car charger.

I have experienced my iPhone X getting too hot, but not so recently, so make sure you have the latest software update. The best fix that I’ve found when over-heating happens is to simply turn off your phone until the back cools down and then to restart it. Another trick is to check your location settings, because some programs will have your GPS working too much, which will heat the phone.

Even using my USB-C charger from <50% mine doesn't get hot. It will warm up a little but not nearly as much as my 5S