What's new

Desperate- Jailbroken 4s on iOS5.1.1 will NOT restore.

AmmarYasirA

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here, I will definitely be around more to post about more iOS things....BUT, I need to fix a problem that I have with my jailbroken iOS5.1.1 iPhone 4s.

I have tried so many different things to get this phone to restore. I dont mind updating to iOS6 because I just got my iPhone 5 and this 4s will be going to my mom.

I have tried DFU/Recovery mode, as well as using TinyUmbrella to to put it into recovery mode. Every time I restore, Apple notification pops up and says that the phone is "not eligible" for the update.

Its really ticking me off because I dont want this phone to go to waste. I can still use it, but It'd be nice for everything to work out. I know there is a way to do it. I just dont know how. I have been trying to do this for almost an entire day now and its really starting to waste my time.

I really have searched everywhere to fix this. Maybe Im not seeing the correct answer to my problems or Im not getting the search results I was aiming for...

Any help is appreciated, thank you guys a bunch.

-Ammar

You didn't say how you were trying to restore/update. First, you can't restore to iOS 5.1.1 (because iOS 6 is out, the window is closed and the tools aren't out yet to do that anyway). And, a jailbroken iPhone can't be updated using the over-the-air function; all you can do is use iTunes. So, connect it to iTunes and select restore. It should work. As you are giving it to your mom, don't even bother with "restoring from backup - elect to restore as new. Then, she'll get it as if it was fresh out of the box - with a stock iOS 6.

Now, if you were already trying to use iTunes, or the above doesn't work, follow the steps in this thread [exactly]: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26019

That should do it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

You didn't say how you were trying to restore/update. First, you can't restore to iOS 5.1.1 (because iOS 6 is out, the window is closed and the tools aren't out yet to do that anyway). And, a jailbroken iPhone can't be updated using the over-the-air function; all you can do is use iTunes. So, connect it to iTunes and select restore. It should work. As you are giving it to your mom, don't even bother with "restoring from backup - elect to restore as new. Then, she'll get it as if it was fresh out of the box - with a stock iOS 6.

Now, if you were already trying to use iTunes, or the above doesn't work, follow the steps in this thread [exactly]: TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

That should do it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Im trying to update TO iOS6 from iOS5.1.1 I was trying to do it orginally form iTunes, with the easiest method, Recovery mode, and then DFU.and none of them worked, I will keep you guys posted...

Ok, Im back, I solved the problem with my old iphone 4s. However, now there is a major problem with another 4s of mine, completely stock, non-jailbroken, and I restored it a while back... It needed to be restored because it was acting up (being slow) and now after trying failsafe. it wont work either.... I am scrwweeeddd if I dont get this fixed... its my sister's and it needs to be fixed fast. any help would be great..

Also,
Mac is updated (Mac Pro 10.7.5)
itunes is updated..
32gb iphone 4s
previously jailbroken on ios5..restored to ios6... now in dfu mode.
everything worked fine... just needed to start fresh..

I will suggest if you are running any firewall or antivirus to stop it when you are doing the restore. I had one issue ones in Windows where that happened.