What's new

Data help

tim56

Reaction score
I have iPhone 7 Plus 64gb 4gb m Verizon plan that’s all I can afford. I have always managed my 4gb really well till my new cycle starts and that is the 22 of every month. I do not Watch movies. Once in a great while I may go onto YouTube. I have about 26 pictures on my iPhone if it goes past 40 I transfer them onto my portable hard drive. and remove them from my iPhone. For the last two months now for some reason i’ve been running very low on my date and this is when I’m on Wi-Fi in my own home it’s chowing up my data and I don’t understand why. Is there a web site or a app to get from the App Store that will tell me what is using up the most data so quickly? This is happening when I’m on Wi-Fi not even been out and about I could understand if I was outside then of course you’ll be using you data plan. Thank you for any help on this

If you go to the cellular setting you may be able to see what is using your data there. Also, scroll all the way down and make sure “WiFi assist”is turned off. It will use data when u don’t have a strong internet connection

I have been going through the same thing with Verizon, I’m really starting to question how they calculate data! Last month according to Verizon we used almost 8gb of data yet according to or phones we used a little over 3gb. That is a huge difference, still waiting for a response from Verizon as we are on a 6gb plan.

Xrayeyes I do have the WiFi assist turned off. In settings cellular data current period current period roaming underneath that I have a list of app besides that I a green Mark. But that shouldn’t matter when using WiFi at home or somewhere else right? But somehow I am using my data plan. When connected to a Wi-Fi connection. I am getting no help from Verizon The only thing they tell me is get more data.

Xrayeyes I do have the WiFi assist turned off. In settings cellular data current period current period roaming underneath that I have a list of app besides that I a green Mark. But that shouldn’t matter when using WiFi at home or somewhere else right? But somehow I am using my data plan. When connected to a Wi-Fi connection. I am getting no help from Verizon The only thing they tell me is get more data.

Have you inquired from the Facebook or Twitter community? Or asked Verizon Support on Twitter or Facebook Messenger? With T-Mobile (our cellular) and Comcast (our wifi), those routes work best.

Hi JandN2639 I am getting no help from Verizon support. They don’t know why the only thing they tell me is get more data

Hi JandN2639 I am getting no help from Verizon support. They don’t know why the only thing they tell me is get more data

I saw your post. I’m asking whether you tried anything in addition to phone (call) support.

Hi JandN2639 tried Facebook but got nowhere

Try keeping Cellular Data toggled off, as an experiment. Which it off, is this still occurring?

Hi Bear7962 I have the WiFi assistance turned off., this is happening when I’m in my own home connected to Wi-Fi all I get from Verizon support we don’t know you can get more data

Hi Bear7962 I have the WiFi assistance turned off., this is happening when I’m in my own home connected to Wi-Fi all I get from Verizon support we don’t know you can get more data

You can turn off the cellular data from settings - cellular and turning off the cellular data. Do this and see if Verizon still claims you are using data

I doubt seriously Verizon is the problem. I've been with Verizon 15 years, and no issues whatsoever with anything, including data use. Have you tried rebooting your wifi modem/router? Also, your modem/router may not be working properly, even if it shows all the bars in the status bar. Does your device work on on other people's wifi? If you turn off Cellular completely, it's best to do so at the beginning of your billing cycle.

I doubt seriously Verizon is the problem. I've been with Verizon 15 years, and no issues whatsoever with anything, including data use. Have you tried rebooting your wifi modem/router? Also, your modem/router may not be working properly, even if it shows all the bars in the status bar. Does your device work on on other people's wifi? If you turn off Cellular completely, it's best to do so at the beginning of your billing cycle.
A WiFi router has no effect on the cellular signal strength status bars, they’re only arrested by the signal strength of the received cellular signal.

You could try out the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store. They could test your iPhone and can likely tell you exactly what’s causing cellular data use while on WiFi.

You could try downloading a data manager app from the .App Store. There are several free ones available and they will give you an independent reading for your WiFi and cellular usage.