What's new

Crime City runs hot

iCrank

Reaction score
As far as the game itself opts alright. I played for maybe 10-15 minutes and my phone ran hot...I thought it was the case I had on it. So I removed the phone from it but it still ran hot, but it wasn't . Anyone else have this issue?

Actually everyone will have this issue. Mainly because of how the game was written.

Every game ever written is usually designed in one of two ways.

1) Continuous loop.
2) Event triggered.

Continuous loop is the most common game design and is what Crime City uses. An example of pseudo code for this would be.
Code:
while (the game is not over)
{
   Check Inputs;
   Check Game state;
   Execute AI;
   Move objects;
   Check Collisions;
   Display Results;
}
This construct has been in use since Pong. Now more modern code will also add an extra section that checks for Frames Per Second and if the FPS is too high (IE it is drawing more than it needs to for satisfactory game play) then the game throttles the loop. Odds are Crime City is missing that check due to the fact the game runs on iOS 3. The programmer simply wanted the code to execute as fast as possible on older hardware since iPhone 3G/3GS are still in use.

So the moral of this story is, if you draw 60+ FPS constantly to the iPhone screen it will eat CPU time, which in turns eats battery life, which in turns heats up the phone.

Thanks for the info. I solved the heating issue. I deleted it.

darkstar2007 said:
Rotfl!!! That's the best way to fix that :D!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

Lol. Fixed with no issues.

Thanks for the info. I solved the heating issue. I deleted it.

Hopefully you left constructive feedback so that the developer can correct the issue. A lot of people don't realize how much that can help make a program better.

Skull One said:
Hopefully you left constructive feedback so that the developer can correct the issue. A lot of people don't realize how much that can help make a program better.

I didn't. I'll be sure to do it today though

Actually everyone will have this issue. Mainly because of how the game was written.

Code:
while (the game is not over) /*<-Most Epic Part Ever*/
{
   Check Inputs;
   Check Game state;
   Execute AI;
   Move objects;
   Check Collisions;
   Display Results;
}