What's new

CP Design's iPhone GamePad prototype "gPod" shown off

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2hwfk2c.jpg

Not a fan of touchscreen controls for your emulated games? Enter the gPod, an iPhone case with an integrated gamepad. I must admit, the gPod is one of the coolest smartphone accessories that I have ever come across. It certainly blows away the Motorola Droid Game Gripper. How does the gPod work, you ask? It's certainly not magic, but close:

The gPod, an iPhone case with integrated gaming control pad. Interfacing with the Apple 30 pin connector and providing tactile buttons in the conventional game pad layout, the iPhone Game Pad allows a massive library of arcade and console games to be ported to the iPhone and not loose that old school interface that people who grew up in the 80′s and 90′s enjoyed so much.

A proof of concept working prototype was produced to suit the original iPhone and is shown in the video below. A refined design has been developed to suit the iPhone 3G and 3GS.

The only problem, and it's a huge one is that CP-Design, the company behind the device, is still looking for investments to get production started. Also, the prototype has only been developed for the original iPhone. CP- Designs promises that a 3G/3Gs-compatible version is in the works, but no word on an iPhone 4 version. If/when the gPod hits retail, would anyone be interested in purchasing it? Check out the gPod in action, but don't expect to see one up for sale for a long time:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkB9vQDY3eU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

via Engadget
source CP-Design

I would definitely be interested in something like this. I love classic games and would love to see this out for my iPhone 4. If only I were a multi-million dollar investor.

I think I would but of course they would need to develop an iPhone 4 version.