What's new

Could the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus Cannibalize iPad Mini Sales?

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iphone6p-select-2014_GEO_EMEA_LANG_EN

Just as it was previously rumored, we've seen Apple launch a really big iPhone - the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 Plus. Maybe the naming isn't that great, but it will definitely be a big shock for those entering Apple Stores once it becomes available.

But as awesome as the 5.5-inch wouldn't sound, it could mean trouble for the iPad Mini. And the reason is obvious and very simple - the iPad Mini comes with a 7.9-inch display, which is biger by the iPhone Plus 6 by 2.4 inch.

So, we wonder whether consumers won't think of the iPhone 6 Plus and the iPad Mini as similar products? What's your take on this?

I think it will have an effect on iPad mini sales. As to how much, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree, it's so close I couldn't see someone owning an iPad Mini and iPhone 6 Plus. I think an iPhone 6 Plus and an iPad Plus (12" screen) would be awesome :)

YES, IMHO the iPhone 6+ will defintely have an effect on the iPad mini series sales. Once I purchased my Note3 I never used my Blackberry PlayBook (7") again. Its in a draw some where LOL.

I measured the width in the long direction of the screen on my iPad mini...it is just a tad longer than the length from end-to-end (not just screen) of the iPhone 6+. So yes, as there will be a 128GB version, it will probably kill the iPad mini. After I get my 6+ I will probably move back to the regular=sized iPad next year. I think the iPad mini RD would make an excellent in-dash nav unit, however. That extra screen size would be perfect for in the car. But the usefulness of that form factor is going to seriously diminish soon. Apple probably knows this. It will be curious to see if they release a new iPad mini in October.

I measured the width in the long direction of the screen on my iPad mini...it is just a tad longer than the length from end-to-end (not just screen) of the iPhone 6+. So yes, as there will be a 128GB version, it will probably kill the iPad mini. After I get my 6+ I will probably move back to the regular=sized iPad next year. I think the iPad mini RD would make an excellent in-dash nav unit, however. That extra screen size would be perfect for in the car. But the usefulness of that form factor is going to seriously diminish soon. Apple probably knows this. It will be curious to see if they release a new iPad mini in October.
I agree with that, I never really saw the appeal of the Mini and I too think the 6 plus will impact the sales of the Mini.

They should have named them the iPhone 6 mini-me and the iPhone 6 maxi-me....Haha!

Perhaps without the word 'me' on the end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also think that the iPhone 6 Plus will effect the sales of the iPad Mini. Isn't it interesting that Apple didn't announce any new iPads? I think they already know that iPad sales will decrease..

The iPad mini is an oversized iPod touch or we can think of it as a small ipad which is a giant oversized iPod touch.

People by iPods and ipad because they want a tablet and don't need the phone feature nor care to have the reoccurring monthly expense of a phone bill.

I believe there is a target audience for these devices. My 72 year old grand mother will not be switching from a mini to an iphone 6 plus. At work, our corporate executives will not be switching either.

I believe they have a distinct purpose and it's nice to see a quality company like Apple offer so many different size options.

I feel it's here to stay and mini sales won't take much of a significant hit if any at all.

I compared my iPad mini to the note 3, which is probably about the same size as the iPhone 6 plus. I think people will still buy the mini. There's enough of a difference in size, and everyone will not want the big iPhone . There are still a lot of people who like being able to have the smaller phone. The note doesn't fit in pockets, for females too well. It's also hard to hold in one hand and text. Now there's variety for everyone.

But when you take into account the cost difference of the ip6+ then I don't see it making that much of a dent to the iPad mini. If a customer was to go for a tablet solely then I can not see them going for a ip6+ in stead. Even if a potential client goes for a ip6+ then the next logical purchase for that client would be a larger iPad "bigger sale"

My 2 cents worth.

(Sorry I posted this question on the regular iphone 6 forum)

I have been looking at the iPhone 6 Plus as a possible replacement for my iPad Mini. I had no problem getting used to the Mini's size in comparison to the iPad 2. But it's still a pain to carry both my phone and the Mini around. The Plus looks like a great replacement which can serve the function of both. One main concern is I use Microsoft Office 365 on the Mini. On the Mini I have the individual programs such as Word, Excel and Powerpoint. But on my iPhone I only have a Office icon that allows me to bring up recent documents. It doesn't seem to have the complete functionality of the Office products on the Mini. This really didn't bother me since I rarely used the iPhone for these. But if the iPhone 6 Plus is going to have Office in a similar manner then it would be a problem for me. Does anyone out there have a Plus and is using MS office?

I have MS Office, but the apps are for the iPad (at least that's how they are referred to in the app store). Hence, they don't show up for the iPhone. Whether or not Microsoft will make them for the iPhone is something only they know. But you have fully functioning free versions of the equivalent Apple apps. I don't feel like the screen is that much larger on the plus to make it a replacement for using them on a Mini, however. The mini's screen is still a lot larger than that of the Plus. IMO, of course.

No I have both my house loves the mini... It's cheaper than the regular iPad and works fantastic!
I am going to buy another iPad in August for my daughters 9th birthday (and myself) she had the 2nd gen for over 4-5 years approx and took excellent care if it! Better than my older girls take care of their stuff!
Of course I'll be using it too but I won't be using the mini that one my 13 year old & 19 yr old w 5s and 6 use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk