What's new

Corroded terminals

gtaylo55

Reaction score
My sons iphone 4 is 11 months old. It suddenly stopped taking a charge through the connector. Went to Iphone shop where the technician said the contacts shows signs of oxidation (corrosion). The phone must have been subjected to water and therefore it was not covered on guarantee. I said that this was totally unacceptable as the phone had not been subjected to water but used normally. Coincidentally a lady next to me said she had exactly the same problem with a 10 month old phone....! I suspect there is a design floor in the materials/finishes used on the connector. Has anybody else experienced this?

Take it back. Talk to the manager or a different tech. Explain to them the phone has not been submersed or had water damage. Terminals do not need to be submersed to have corrosion. High humidity climates can cause this. keep up the pressure politely until they replace it.

Many thanks for your response. I completely agree with you about damp environment. My son is a student living with 6 others in a Victorian house which is damp. How many others out there are suffering the same thing. I will go back but I feel for the other lady who was there at the same time with the same problem and was going to give Apple a £120 for exchanged phone. I'd like to try and see how many others out there are suffering.

There is an indicator on the phone that alerts the repair tech as to whether or not the phone has been submerged. If that has not tripped, they cannot deny you warranty coverage due to water problems. Ask for the store manager.

There is an indicator on the phone that alerts the repair tech as to whether or not the phone has been submerged. If that has not tripped, they cannot deny you warranty coverage due to water problems. Ask for the store manager.
+Infinity!!! Just because there's oxidation on the data connection has nothing to do w/ a warranty claim. The moisture sensors (white dots) are what claims are based from.