What's new

Contact trouble

Gdog40

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new Iphone 6 after swapping back from having a Samsung Galaxy S4. It's good to be back!!

Now Vodafone sent me out the phone and a new sim card which is all good, and it somehow had some of my contacts already on the phone which was great. I changed the names to their full names and added some contacts that i only had on my Samsung and never my old iphone.

The problem is there are contacts i have had in ONLY my Samsung and some that were on my old iphone (2+ years old) that when they ring it comes up with their nickname in my old phones and the name they're in my iphone as. E.g "Smithy or John Smith is calling".

Also, it has the old contact display photos on my old iphone AND numbers added from my Samsung that were NOT on my old iphone has the display picture that was on the Samsung.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN???

I dont want the Smithy OR John smith is calling, i just want their full name!!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Gdog40!

Did you save the contacts on your old iPhone to iCloud? That would explain the old contacts that appear on the new iPhone again. The same will happen if you added pictures to the contacts on the old iPhone. They could still be saved to iCloud.

If so, either login to iCloud on a computer and look at the contacts there, or go to the Contacts app. Search for duplicates/nicknames. Either delete the ones you don't need, or link them.

If you use Gmail on the new device, the account will also sync the contacts saved to it to the new iPhone.

Thanks heaps for your help. I logged into iCloud and its only got the contacts from my new phone on it not my old one. I clicked the contacts that have changed and theres no nickname or anything.

Dont know about Gmail though, not sure how to work that.

So i turned my contacts off in icloud and i clicked delete from my phone instead of keep. Now i have NO contacts yet in my recent calls it has the names of my contacts in my old phone. I've always tried to get my contacts back from iCloud (which show them all before i deleted them) but its not working.

I hate this damn phone

I have ALL my contacts on iCloud and NONE on my phone, i have turned contacts off and back on in iCloud settings SEVERAL times and cannot get them back on my phone. It synced once and put 5-10 contacts on my phone such as Vodafone help and call connect rubbish but NONE of my actual contacts...what is going on with this crap!!! please help!!

If the contacts are in iCloud, there are a few things you can do to get them back to your device:

iOS
After each step, check to see if the issue still exists.

Turn on Contacts and update your device
Check your Internet connection
  1. Try to go to www.apple.com in Safari. If you can't connect to the Internet, your iCloud contacts won't update in the Contacts app. Get help with your Internet connection.
  2. Try to open a secure website from your iOS device to see if you can access ports 80 and 443. If the website doesn't open, you don't have access. Contact your Internet service provider for help. Safari requires access to port 443 to push updates between iCloud and your devices.
Refresh your contacts
  1. Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
  2. Pull down on the list to refresh the list of groups.
Check your default Contacts account
Check whether your device is set up to show iCloud contacts:

2. Make sure All iCloud is selected.
If you store and edit your contacts using your iCloud account instead of a third-party account, like Google or Yahoo, iCloud will automatically update your contacts. Check whether your contact is stored with iCloud:

2. Deselect the All [account] option for any third-party account, like Gmail or Yahoo.
  3. Make sure All iCloud is selected.
  4. Tap Done to see your list of Contacts. If you don't see the contact you're looking for, it's stored in another account.
  5. You can import the contact from a third-party service into iCloud.
If your device uses multiple accounts like iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo, make sure that iCloud is your default Contacts account:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. In the Contacts section, tap Default Account.
  3. Make sure iCloud is selected.
Restart Contacts
Close and restart the Contacts app on your iOS device.

1. Double-click the Home button to see your open apps.
  2. Find the Contacts preview screen and swipe it up to close the app.
  3. Press the Home button to return to your Home screen.
  4. Wait a minute, then reopen the Contacts app.
Turn off iCloud Contacts and turn it back on
  1. Tap Settings > iCloud.
  2. Turn off Contacts.
  3. You can choose Delete from My [device] if your data exists on icloud.com/contacts and one or more of your devices. Otherwise, choose Keep on My [device].
  4. Wait a few minutes, then turn Contacts back on.
Restart your device
Hold down the Sleep/Wake button, then drag the slider when asked to power off. Turn your device back on.

(Apple Support)

Refresh your contacts
  2. Pull down on the list to refresh the list of groups.
i do not have this option in my contacts!

i have tried all this and nothing. I have also gone through all my of messages and re-saved the people in my contacts again. once i did all that i went to contacts and there was NOTHING there. yet i go back into messages and they have the names as i saved them as.

I am thinking about restoring my phone back to the original start as i have barely anything on it anyway. Hopefully this will update my contacts from icloud.

How can this be so damn hard!!!

In your case there's an arrow in the shape of a not finished circle at the top left. When you tap it, this will refresh the contacts list from iCloud.