What's new

Cleaning iPhone 4 microphone and speaker...

EWyatt

Reaction score
A sales rep at Office Depot today remarked about my cool iPhone (yeah!) and asked how often I "cleaned" my two items (speaker and mic) on the bottom. I told him never, he bolted, then said I should blow these out with direct, short spurts of compressed air right into the mic and speaker. The compressed air would be from a can -- the kind we buy for cleaning dust from computers, etc.
Question: is this a good idea? Wouldn't blowing compressed air somehow hurt the diaphragms in these areas? Any comments on perhaps a better way for get the gunk out of these areas? Thanks.

EWyatt said:
A sales rep at Office Depot today remarked about my cool iPhone (yeah!) and asked how often I "cleaned" my two items (speaker and mic) on the bottom. I told him never, he bolted, then said I should blow these out with direct, short spurts of compressed air right into the mic and speaker. The compressed air would be from a can -- the kind we buy for cleaning dust from computers, etc.
Question: is this a good idea? Wouldn't blowing compressed air somehow hurt the diaphragms in these areas? Any comments on perhaps a better way for get the gunk out of these areas? Thanks.

Avoid using compressed air That will do damage unless its at a very low bar

One wants to know why one gets "gunk" into these areas? There is nothing in mine and I've had it 8 months.

iHolophyte

I would be more inclined to use a soft brush with fine bristles to brush the dust out. I think that applying pressurised air is more likely to force dirt back inside the speaker and mic or as said, do internal damage.

Thanks all for the comments. I guess I won't be blowing compressed air into my mic and speaker!! Besides, since they work just fine, why fix when not broke.....

To iHolophyte, perhaps not "gunk" but lint from carrying the device in shirt pockets, etc....

I would be more inclined to use a soft brush with fine bristles to brush the dust out. I think that applying pressurised air is more likely to force dirt back inside the speaker and mic or as said, do internal damage.

Totally agree...

Absolutely and completely do NOT use compressed air on the speaker and mic. That is the worst thing you can do. Like others said, just a soft brush will do it.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. A bit of lint is not going to hinder performance.

Thanks all for the comments. I guess I won't be blowing compressed air into my mic and speaker!! Besides, since they work just fine, why fix when not broke.....

To iHolophyte, perhaps not "gunk" but lint from carrying the device in shirt pockets, etc....

Try using compressed air in your pockets instead to blow out the lint (laughs out loud) 😝

iHolophyte

Try using compressed air in your pockets instead to blow out the lint (laughs out loud) 

iHolophyte

Hahaha... the only compressed air that comes out of my pockets is from ........ the back pockets. And my iPhone deserves better than that! :))

iholophyte said:
try using compressed air in your pockets instead to blow out the lint (laughs out loud) ?de1d

iholophyte

jajajajajajajaja