What's new

Cheapest lightning to HDMI cable?

marknyc9

Reaction score
I want to plug my iPhone into my TV, but don't want to buy the $49 Apple connector. Do the cheaper ones work? I particularly want to use it to watch films on the TCM app on my TV. But I noticed this at PC mag:

"One big caveat with those third-party cables, though: if you're looking to watch streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, or on-demand video from providers like Comcast Xfinity and DirecTV, most of these cables won't work. They lack High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which prevents pirates from capturing high-def digital content for their own use. HBO Now has a nice primer on how it supports HDCP."

Can anyone recommend a cheap cable that will work?

How to Connect Your iPhone or iPad to Your TV

Thanks!

Mark

I cannot comment on the cable assembly you mention, as I use the Apple adapter and HDMI to HDMI cable.

As part of another query raised on this forum, I found that in the UK I can use the BBC iPlayer app to our TV, but the ITV Hub app does not support the HDMI link, even though both do fairly similar things for their own TV channels. Hence your limitation may not be simply the cable assembly, but the app you want to use itself. I suggest therefore that you identify the apps you plan to use and ask if anyone is able to stream to their TVs before you start spending money.

One final point is that as far as I know, or have used, anything displayed via Safari displays on our TV via the HDMI/ Apple adapter.

I hope this helps you.

There are also some services that do now allow streaming their content from one device to another.