What's new

Charging iphone iphone5s with 5amp

Booster01

Reaction score
Hello , I have an old iphone 5s , and i was wondering... what could happen if I charge it with 19v instead of 5v .. and with 4.75 amps instead of max 2.
I wanna make a video... but it will burn or something like that ?
I hope you can make some suggestion. i will make the video very soon.
Thanks

You risk damaging the logic board by using unauthorised by Apple chargers and cables for a start.

Last edited:
Carolines point, though not an answer to your question, was that non Apple chargers void your warranty. If your phone is a 5, I doubt there's any warranty left though.

It is a 5s .. and the warranty is way passed.
Doing this only for fun. but it will explode or something like that ? curious.. if it has some protection.. and nothing will happen. apple will won

As I explained, you risk seriously damaging the phone if you use non Apple chargers and cables. It has got nothing to do with the warranty.

I may be wrong, but I think the phone controls the charger current but not voltage and I don't think it can control current with voltage that high.

What is the reasoning for 19 volts? That will most likely burn up the input stage for power - same if the phone cannot control the current. Why smoke a phone unless the video is about doing what you've asked?

I am just curious.

On checking my iPhone 5s charger it's hard to see clearly however it appears to give out 1 amp amount of charge.
If you proceed with your experiment, l strongly suggest you do it outside.
And have an extinguisher at hand just in case. Might be an idea to wear some eye protection also. You are dealing with something unknown here.
This might be the last video you make my friend.
No doubt you have heard all about the Samsung problems.

Caroline he's asking about the power output not the brand

The point was that non Apple chargers can seriously damage your device, even assuming the power is correct. Also there is a reason for Apple's chargers" power levels.

The point was that non Apple chargers can seriously damage your device, even assuming the power is correct. Also there is a reason for Apple's chargers" power levels.
There are authorized non-Apple chargers certified by Apple. It's the unauthorized and counterfeit chargers that are the real danger.

Well it appears that Booster sent his 19 volts into his iPhone 5s and neither of them survived the experience.
Can't say he or she was not warned beforehand.
Now we should all sing a song