What's new

Charging iPhone 7 while using headphones

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seen some whining, bickering and general gnashing of teeth on other forums, so thought I'd get this one out of the way.

Apparently, Apple have brought some people's world crashing down in flames with the decision to replace the old and ugly 3.5mm headphone socket with Lightning capable headphones.

BUT...CALAMITY. You can't charge your phone and listen to your music at the same time.

All is not lost. For the remarkably low price of $159, you can buy a pair of Apple AirBuds and listen to your music through those while using your Lightning port to charge your phone. When the unthinkable happens, and you need to charge your AirBuds, your iPhone will probably have sufficient charge to switch to the supplied wired buds that come with the phone.

Don't know about anyone else, but I work long days...VERY long days, but even I am not active for 25 hours a day, so even in the busiest schedule, there should be time to charge the phone and the AirBuds.

What about those who maybe can't afford the Airbuds though?

Is there another way around it or can you only do one or the other?

Ivy! You are spoiling my moment.

Seriously though, at present you can only do one or the other. I expect Belkin and the like will step up with a splitter of some kind. There shouldn't be any conflict since the pins for data transfer should be different to those for power.

Hi Kevin relax or with all that work you'll have a heart attack.
Those things for $159 US are called Air Pods. Not Air Buds.

You don't know my style, l play, l joke, so sorry if you are upset about that, can't promise not to do it again though that's life man.
If l really needed and wanted an iPhone 7plus l would order one asap. But l don't so l won't. Is that OK with you ?

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

My boss already had a heart attack. That's why he employs me, so I can have the next one for him.

Air Pods? Really? I misheard Tim earlier. Thanks for the correction.

All is fine with me. I don't need one. I just want one. I won't ask your permission, so I don't expect you to ask, or consider, mine.

I'm sure there will be a splitter down the road...there are many great priced wireless headphones in the market as well...

iPAD 9.7

Ivy! You are spoiling my moment.

Seriously though, at present you can only do one or the other. I expect Belkin and the like will step up with a splitter of some kind. There shouldn't be any conflict since the pins for data transfer should be different to those for power.
Yes someone will soon jump in with some kind of adapter, Someone then will complain about having to buy and carry around an adapter though.
I've been thinking about this in more depth and I can see why some are complaining.

Just having stereo thru your headphones is enough for me to be good with it's removal ...2016 let's move to better ...

iPAD 9.7

You should have heard me whining when I bought a motorcycle and found it didn't have a kickstart.

There will always be people who bemoan the loss of tried and trusted technology, and change for change's sake is never a good thing. That's part of the attraction of Apple in the first place. Their products are seen to have a useful life beyond that of their competition. In this case, though, I can see the benefits. The water resistance wouldn't have happened if they'd kept the 3.5mm. And who knows what would have been lost if they'd been forced to keep it? The new Home button? The second speaker? Space is tight in these devices.

I had a motorbike once

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Apple multitasking is horrible can't use two apps at the same time in one screen can charge your phone and listen to music at the same time what's next apple can't talk and text at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk