What's new

charging battery

redstarrob

Reaction score
I know that over charging is bad for the battery, but what if for instance your battery is 50 or 60% is it harmful to charge it up to 100% again...cheers for any advice recieved

I know that over charging is bad for the battery, but what if for instance your battery is 50 or 60% is it harmful to charge it up to 100% again...cheers for any advice recieved
No problem!! Lithium-Ion batteries do not have a "memory" like the old Ni-Cd; you can "top-off" without fear of overcharge damage/reduced battery life.....
Some folks recommend a "deep discharge" once a month or so...then FULLY recharge to 100%....
I've never had issues recharging ANY Li-I devices from ~50%....and several devices I do this with are several years old!!

No problem!! Lithium-Ion batteries do not have a "memory" like the old Ni-Cd; you can "top-off" without fear of overcharge damage/reduced battery life.....
Some folks recommend a "deep discharge" once a month or so...then FULLY recharge to 100%....
I've never had issues recharging ANY Li-I devices from ~50%....and several devices I do this with are several years old!!

Pretty much this. Depending on use, it's recommended that you discharge completely anywhere from once a month to once every two months to promote better battery life. With Lithium Ion batteries, the upper threshold of about 5% is a throw-off, and often takes a little longer to completely cap out the battery, so "overcharging" it by 30 minutes to an hour after the meter's reading 100% is perfectly fine. There's no need to completely drain out the device prior to charging every time.