What's new

Changing resolution of photos and HD

TimeTraveler7

Reaction score
Is there any option anywhere (I wasn't able to find) that would make it possible to change the resolution for photos and videos you are going to take?
Just curious, is iPhone 4S' camera supposed to record video in stereo (and if so, is left/right detected as per how you're holding your device, or is it fixed)?

Well, the iPhone's resolution is really 8MP. I dont think you can't change the resolution. I havent tried it though. Let's see what others say, maybe they know any.

Must be one of those things Apple doesn't "allow" to be changed. I've been playing with an alternative app, Camera Awesome, but couldn't find anything there either. Just various sharing stuff (or, as I like to calll it, leaks :) ).

You can buy Camera+, it lets you take photos in smaller resolution. Its pretty good, although the newest version crashes on me sometimes :( Btw does anyone know what kind of resolution is needed to print out a decent quality a5 print? I need to send some off to my printers but Ive used camera+ to take the photos and im not sure the resolution is good enough. And on the printers website: print24.co.uk it says it should be at least 300dpi... ?

I am using a 4s with iOS8, which I understand has an 8 mp camera. However, the largest file I have been able to produce is around 3.5 mp.
How do I access the full resolution of the camera?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Tony_T!

It's not possible to change the resolution of your camera in it's settings or the camera app. The iPhone will take pictures with a resolution of 8 MP.

Do you get 3.5 MP or MB? MB is the size of the picture, not it's resolution.

I do understand the difference. The largest file I seem to be able to produce is around 3.5 mb.
I believe the camera software creates jpeg files. Is there a page in the settings that allows compression to be adjusted, maximising file size?