What's new

Changing email from gmail to apple icloud

dave307

Reaction score
Would it me an easy setup to change my email on my iPhone 6 I have gmail setup now how would I change it to icloud. Would it be a difficult task. Then I can remove gmail or maybe keep both.
Any help Please.
Many Thanks David.

If you want to add a new iCloud email address to your email accounts, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Do you want to change your Apple ID or iCloud ID?

Thanks for prompt reply.
Regarding (Do you want to change your Apple ID or iCloud ID?) No.
What I do have my apple ID is a gmail Not the gmail that I use for mail.
When I had this iPhone new I made a slight mistake and used an gmail as an ID should have done a Apple ID from beginning.
The email I use is a gmail but not the same as the login one, Hope you can understand my mistake. Was thinking of a reset to start all over and have an Apple ID but I gather that is not a best option.
Sorry if I have confused you. David.

So you use this Gmail address for purchases in the App Store and iTunes Store? You’re using it as Apple ID, in that case.

The gmail that I use is the ID to login to icloud,Not the gmail I use for mail. One gmail for login and another for mail. I don't purchase from the app store with that I use the apple card that you can buy to the value of ÂŁ15 - ÂŁ50.

That’s really confusing. To purchase something from the App Store, you need an Apple ID, or else it won’t be possible to get apps, music, ...., even if you don’t use a credit card for purchases.
Apps, music, movies, ... are connected to the Apple ID you use when you purchase them, no matter how you paid for them.

Sorry I have confused you.
I will try again.My apple ID is [email protected] and the password of course. And my gmail I use for emails is [email protected].(Those gmails are not the real ones) To log into the app store I use the 698 one with my password, I use the fingerprint method to login. and the hyre45@gmai that's the one for emails.
Now coming to the purchasing method I buy a apple gift card to the value of ÂŁ25 and scan the barcode into the system using the phone camera. Then I can check my balance in iTunes.
Now what I was thinking of doing was to change the gmail that I use for emails to an apple email. example [email protected] that was just made up from my head for the purpose of this discussion.
Are you with me so far.
I did also think about changing my gmail login apple ID to an apple ID, But doing that would leave me with a lot of work regarding the icloud backup.Second thoughts I decided against that.
That's what I should have done when I had the phone from new out of the box.
Hope you can work that out, Once again sorry to totally confuse you.
Big Thanks David.

I’ve removed the email addresses. It’s more secure not to post them in a forum with members from around the globe.

they were only ones that I made up just for this Thanks.
So they don’t really exist? In that case, forget my comment above.

Do you receive emails with the Gmail account that you’re thinking of replacing?

Yes.Not the the one that I use to log in.If you understand. It's really hard to explain via typing it would be a lot easier face to face.I'll fly out to you tonight, :)

You can create an email address with Apple ([email protected] for instance) and send/receive from that address. You can also continue to receive and send email from the gmail ([email protected] for instance) account you use for mail currently. You can add your iCloud account ([email protected] for instance) to send and receive as well should you desire.

Changing your iCloud name ([email protected]) to a different one ([email protected]) may be a bit more difficult, but Apple may be able to help with that.

Thanks very much for all the help, Very sorry I confused you.
My flight was delayed due to bad weather in south wales uk.
Big thanks. Dacid