What's new

Change apple id on phone

dave307

Reaction score
Hi. I had this iPhone 6 a few months and is working great.
The only one mistake that I did on the setup was to use my existing gmail account as the apple ID with a fresh password.
Now I want to change that gmail to a new apple account,I will need an apple ID and can I use my existing password.
Now how do I make a new apple email and change it with the gmail. And if that is straight forward will the change affect all the info already on the phone documents photos etc.
Hope you can help me out here Please.
Many Thanks. David.

Sign out of the Apple ID you're currently using on all your Apple devices. Then go to this site and sign in with your Apple ID:
https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

In "Account", select Edit at the right. Below your Apple ID, you'll then find "Edit Email Address". Choose it. Enter the email address you intend to use. It has to be an email address you can access.

You'll receive a verification email. Use the link provided there to verify your account. Then sign in with the new Apple ID on all your devices.

If you change your Apple ID that way, nothing will be lost.

. Enter the email address you intend to use. It has to be an email address you can access.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a new apple email to enter or will that option give me the choice to make one?

Thanks for that latest link on making a new ID when I enter EDITED (no email address please)
a box comes up on screen saying you cant end in icloud.com.Help please.
Sorry to be a pain in the rear.

On your iPhone, got to Settings - iCloud. If you're logged in there, log out. Then you get the possibility to create an iCloud email address.

Thanks for the help that email I gave was not the one I intended using it was just one from the top of my head.
Many thanks.

Tried that by signing out but it said if you sign out of your account,all photos etc in icloud library will be removed from this device.
Thanks David.:confused:

Save the images somewhere else than the Photos app. Then sign out. Make sure there's a most recent backup.

Last edited:
can you please confirm that nothing will be lost off the phone only the icloud backup

When you proceed with signing out, you get the choice to keep your current iCloud calendar events, Safari and News data, as well as contacts and reminders on your iPhone. These won't disappear, if your choice is to keep them. Photos on your iPhone will be there after signing out as well, afaik. Just save them somewhere else before signing out, to be on the safe side.

When you're creating an iCloud ID, it's also a new Apple ID, which means you can't use it to change your Gmail Apple ID. It's possible to switch email addresses, to use a different one as Apple ID if it's not already used as Apple ID.

This means:
Apps, music, movies, ... you've purchased with the current ID will not be connected to the new iCloud ID, because it's a different Apple ID.
When you use the new Apple (iCloud) ID for the App Store as well, and app needs to be updated, it will ask for the password of the Gmail Apple ID.
Afaik, it's possible to merge the information of the previous iCloud ID with the new one, once it's created. So Safari and News data, calendar events, contacts and reminders will still be there afterwards, this time synced by the new ID. If the photos are still there after signing out of the old iCloud ID, they will be synced by the new one as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that info
That task I thought of doing looks like a major complicated job.Looking at all angles best well left alone.
Maybe next time I pass a local apple store may ask them to tackle my task.
Many thanks for your time on my question.
David.