What's new

Cats at the vet

hookbill

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old cat at the vet right now. She is not using the box, at least not all the time and she has twice had urinary infections. They are testing her and if it's not a urinary infection then unfortunately I'll have to put her down.

I lost one cat a year ago last August to Diabetes. I lost another one about 8 months ago to cancer. And in this same time period I've buried 3 of my parrots, it was just age not much I could do about it. I have larger parrots that will outlive me.

But I'm a little tired of having to say goodbye to my friends. This cat. She adores me.

The truth about cats and dogs are they are all tragedies waiting to happen and you know this but you still hurt.

I'll know more in about 30 minutes.

Hook I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I hope she gets better soon. I've got 2 cats myself and I'd be devastated if anything happened to them. They're a part of the family.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

We are back, she is going to be OK. Once again a severe urinary track infection. First two times It showed by her spotting, in the box. This time she was just urinating outside the box.

I got to give her antibiotics twice a day, pain meds every other day. She got a shot to get the ball rolling quickly. 372.53. My iPhone 5 is now for sale.

JUST KIDDING. But it is expensive. And when she got home my youngest cat was just merciless to her, chasing after her. She was p.o.'d and he couldn't understand what the problem was. Well, hopefully I'll have her for a few more years.

Thank you all for your well wishes.

We are back, she is going to be OK. Once again a severe urinary track infection. First two times It showed by her spotting, in the box. This time she was just urinating outside the box.

I got to give her antibiotics twice a day, pain meds every other day. She got a shot to get the ball rolling quickly. 372.53. My iPhone 5 is now for sale.

JUST KIDDING. But it is expensive. And when she got home my youngest cat was just merciless to her, chasing after her. She was p.o.'d and he couldn't understand what the problem was. Well, hopefully I'll have her for a few more years.

Yay! Glad to hear she's going to get better, Hook! Seems she will have a good nurse to take care of her at home. Take care. :)

She stopped using the box because cats associate pain they feel with it. Give her a few days to use the box again. Been there done that, Resolve Pet will fix most problem areas.

I am using Nature's Miracle Urine. I have Resolve also, that works well but this works better IMHO. That explains why I'm finding poop as well.

I gave her some pain meds, don't know really what they are but must be good stuff because she only gets it once every two days.

Hi Hookbill,
Sorry for your kitty issues...been there done that! Glad it's not serious and she is recovering. Next time your cat goes to the vet, spray it lightly with a perfume before you bring it in the house...your other cat smells all the clinic smells on your cat and that's why it's bothering her. Works like a charm.

Also, did they do a urinalysis to determine if it is a mineral/stone issue? There are diets that can help clear that up if there are stones or grit in the bladder. It would be worthwhile to invest in new food if this is a reoccurring issue. { I'm a vet tech as well as an x-ray tech :) }