What's new

Carrier Setting Prob- no Zep folder

I'm currently on 4.2.8. I've saved my jailbreak on tiny umbrella, if that makes it easier. Do I just let itunes restore to the latest or should I do Shift+Restore and grab the previous 4.2.8?

Shift+ restore will not help, use tinyU to downgrade, there is an option in tinyU to help you to downgrade. Follow tinyU instruction.

I've restored back to factory 4.2.8 (using the one i already had from last jailbreak) and my network 3g/carrier is back!! And, no, I don't have any hacked apps.

So, now I'm going to re-jailbreak with the ipsw I made last time by:

1. use iReb to go into dfu mode
2. connect to itunes, Shift+Restore and grab the Snowbreeze 4.2.8 that was made last time.

....checking the host file, it still has the # in the beginning, so I don't think I have to touch that...

Does this sound right, or am I missing anything? I've backed up my jailbreak apps with xBackup, so I should be able to get everything back...

@bab, He doesn't need to downgrade.

@ikcb, You don't need to touch your hosts file. That's only if your downgrading. I've never jaolbroken a verzion iPhone before so have no personal experience with it. From what I understand what you wrote is correct to jailbreak 4.2.8. Although you don't need iReb to get your phone into DFU...

After several attempts I'm restoring from backup to factory again today....kinda questioning it too, because its saying my carrier is not active...but it was the first time I restored today... guess I'll find out in about an hour.

I tried jailbreaking a bunch of times and every time I would get error 3194 or 1013. I know this has to do with the host file, so I tried adding the #, tried deleting it completely, going through TU, etc. and nothing seems to work. People seem to have the most success just deleting it and that worked for me the first time a few months ago.

This really gets me stressed out!! The first time I had to restore was my fault for messing with internal stuff. BUT this time I didn't do anything but update those couple apps and BAM no more network!! Just thinking about having to do this another day makes me sweat and nauseous.

Those errors are usually to to with the hosts file. This is the line you need to add or take away,

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

iTunes must be closed when editing the hosts file. Make sure you press save and then close the window. Its a good idea to also reboot your computer...

I did try a few different things with the host file like deleting it or adding the # to the beginning. This did work a few months ago when I jailbroke, but it wont work now for some reason. I did try rebooting too once I deleted, etc.

I may have to start from scratch and make a new ipsw with snowbreeze and make sure TU and iTunes are all up to date and such. I'm going to do it maybe next week. Its just too much stress when trying to do this while working.

Thanks for your input. I didnt even get one response on the other thread I made asking for the zeppelin copy. THAT seemed like the easiest solution....