What's new

Can't update do iOS 5 - "the ipod could not be restored error 3194"

Maxxd

Reaction score
I have iPod Touch 4G with 4.3.5 with iTunes 10.5 (last version) and I'm trying to update to iOS 5 through iTunes.

I have/did:

- All updates (Windows and iTunes)
- Firewall / anti virus protection disabled etc
- all USB devices disabled
- rebooted pc and ipod many times

I tried both update button and using the ipsw file, but I always get the same file. Tried on two computers, one win 7 x86 other win 7 x64 - same problem.

EDIT: Looks like for some reason (probably because I installed tiny umbrella) I had the redirect to cydia hosts file. Removed, problem solved.

What could I do?

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. What exactly did you fix it?

That didnt worked for me.

I just deleted the hosts file.

That's not always the best solution for everyone. Your hosts file can be important for other reasons than jailbreaking. Just deleting it may cause more problems than it solves if you rely on other redirections. That's why the guide suggests you just delete all the references to gs.apple.com from your hosts file. That is far safer.

f4780y said:
That's not always the best solution for everyone. Your hosts file can be important for other reasons than jailbreaking. Just deleting it may cause more problems than it solves if you rely on other redirections. That's why the guide suggests you just delete all the references to gs.apple.com from your hosts file. That is far safer.

I know thats why I backed up the file.

Try turning off your anti virus and doing the update and then turning it back on. That worked for me

OK. The reason you got a 3194 error was because you were no longer pointing to Apple. If you want to get stock IOS5 up and running follow the following process.

1) iTunes must be on the latest 10.5 version, so get that up to date.
2) Open TinyUmbrella, switch to the Advanced tab, UNTICK the item "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit", and close TinyUmbrella - This will guarantee you are pointing back at Apple.
3) Connect your phone to your PC and get it into DFU mode. Follow our guide here - DFU Mode for Dummies
4) Open iTunes, it will recognise the device in recovery mode, then press the restore button. IOS5 should now install successfully.

Hope that helps.

Ok unticked the set hosts to cydia in tiny umbrella and it updated fine. Now
jailbreaked on iOS 5, thanks for the help!

I did everything!! now I get error 14?? I have even tried to restore it, and Now I have nothing? Please?

and now I am stuck in recovery mode? it wil go half way and stop and come up with this error 14

Thank you Guys!! I got it with Tiny Umbrella!! thanks for all your help