What's new

Can't turn off location service on iPhone 5c

Reaction score
About the 2nd iOS 9 update I have been unable to turn off my location service on my iPhone 5c. I tried shutting off my phone, rebooting and turning off all applicable apps including system services and still can't get access to turn off location service. Please can someone help?
Thanks.

If your Location Services setting on your Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch seems grayed out and you cannot make changes to it, you may have accidentally set a restriction on it. Check the settings using these steps.

1. Open “Settings“.
  2. Touch “General“.
  3. Select “Restrictions“.
  4. Tap “Location Services“.
  5. Make sure “Allow Changes“is checked and “Location Services” is set to “On” (green).
Once this is set, go back to the Location Services setting and you should be able to make changes. If none of these steps worked, you may want to go through the process of restoring your iOS device.

I followed your directions and all the settings are as they should be but still the button is greyed out

Instead of restoring your iPhone, try resetting all settings first. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Reset All Settings" there. This will set back many of your settings to default. If everything works as intended, it will also help with your problem.

If you are sure that all the appropriate restrictions have been applied, have you clicked on the link in my last paragraph?

If you are sure that all the appropriate restrictions have been applied, have you clicked on the link in my last paragraph?
J. A. Suggested I reset all my settings first to see if that helps. I did click on the link you provided but I have an old pc laptop that is not running at top capacity, (my fault lol)so I haven't hooked up neither my iPhone nor my iPad for fear of losing files.

Instead of restoring your iPhone, try resetting all settings first. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Reset All Settings" there. This will set back many of your settings to default. If everything works as intended, it will also help with your problem.
Could I just reset location & privacy or do I have to reset all?

Last edited:
Once your settings have been restored to factory default settings, you can change them one at a time to what you had them set at before the reset. After you change each setting, check to see if the problem with location services has returned. By doing this, you may discover just what was causing the problem and can avoid it in the future.

Try resetting location and privacy first. If that doesn't help, reset all settings. You won't lose data when you perform this kind of reset.
Thank you I was unable to correct the problem with just resetting location & privacy so I reset all and that corrected the problem.
Thank you to all for your help and suggestions.

Once your settings have been restored to factory default settings, you can change them one at a time to what you had them set at before the reset. After you change each setting, check to see if the problem with location services has returned. By doing this, you may discover just what was causing the problem and can avoid it in the future.
I will do that. Thank you.