What's new

Can you have a radio app open and then use the web or do anything else?

HammerHam

Reaction score
I know kind of a dumb question but I figured someone that actually has IO6/iPhone5 can tell me quickly.

I was wondering if you could have for instance the iHeart Radio app or any other radio app open and multi-task by hitting the home button letting it run in the back ground obviously with the music playing and do something else like search the web for example?

THANK YOU!

Sure can.

For example, I can (and do ... and have) opened the TuneIn Radio app and put it in the background by pressing the Home button. Then, I can open Safari, a game, iMessage, etc. it keeps playing in the background until I stop it.

The iPhone is very good for multi-tasking like this.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

I see is there any way you could make a quick video

Hang on; I read that the iPhone doesn't multitask? This seemed right to me because I've seen alarm clock apps that state they must be running in the foreground to work, because they state that if they're not active, their alarms won't run. And people in these forums have even stated that the icons in the bottom of the screen (when you double-click the Home button) are actually just frozen and not running, and hence there's no need to close them to "quit" them. So what's the official story?

So can any given app run in the background if sufficient OS privileges are set? Like radio apps?

Mickey330 said:
Sure can.

For example, I can (and do ... and have) opened the TuneIn Radio app and put it in the background by pressing the Home button. Then, I can open Safari, a game, iMessage, etc. it keeps playing in the background until I stop it.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Btw ... Have you noticed that TuneIn works only in portrait mode on iPhone 5.
I found it extremely inconvenient

Thanks for the info guys really leaning towards buying the factory unlocked LG Optimus G!!!! Makes the iP5 look like a Tracfone :p Just can't seem to find an alternative to iTunes/podcast finder as good as iTunes...