What's new

Can Siri be my hands-free talking dictionary?

monograph

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get Siri to speak a requested word definition? E.g., if I say, "Siri, define arbitrary", it tells me that it has found web pages for "define arbitrary", which means I have to click on one and then read the definition. Is there a voice command that will simply make Siri speak the meaning of any word I ask it in one step? That would be incredibly useful.

Does anyone know how to get Siri to speak a requested word definition? E.g., if I say, "Siri, define arbitrary", it tells me that it has found web pages for "define arbitrary", which means I have to click on one and then read the definition. Is there a voice command that will simply make Siri speak the meaning of any word I ask it in one step? That would be incredibly useful.
Try this:
Open Siri and say, "Siri, define the word arbitrary". I tried it and Siri read the top ranked definition out loud. Siri then asked if i wanted to hear the next definition of the word.

Last edited:
Try this:
Open Siri and say, "Siri, define the word arbitrary". I tried it and Siri read the top ranked definition out loud. Siri then asked if i wanted to hear the next definition of the word.

I often ask Siri questions on my commute to/from work; most times I have to wait until I arrive or pull over because 'she' finds something on the web but never reads it. You have given me hope once again [emoji106][emoji106]

Ask Siri if that’s the correct Definition of the word Succinct

Ask Siri if that’s the correct Definition of the word Succinct
Reckon I got it right

IMG_7185.jpg

I knew that without using Siri because l am clefffer kana wot l mean mate

You can also ask Siri to spell a word, and she will also give you the definition.
She’s quite a clever girl when you treat her right.
I wouldn’t want to be married to a know all ***** though!