What's new

Can I resell an unopened iphone5 that was purchased with a verizon 2 year contract?

Climb

Reaction score
Preordered the Verizon 32g as a new customer on 9/14 with plans to port my number from tmobile. I ended up buying the same phone at the apple store the day it went on sale, since there was only a 10 minute wait. I had planned on canceling the pre-order since I wasn't expecting to get it till 10/5, but it was too late. It got delivered today.

Obviously the preordered phone can't port my original number since its been ported to the one I bought at the apple store. I know I have a 30 day window to just return the preordered phone, but are there any options for me to sell it? The phone I got today is still in the plastic wrap.

The Verizon iPhones are factory unlocked for AT&T and t mobile and anywhere else in the world. So yes if you put this phone on eBay you can get ALOOOTT of money. Def more than you paid.

Preordered the Verizon 32g as a new customer on 9/14 with plans to port my number from tmobile. I ended up buying the same phone at the apple store the day it went on sale, since there was only a 10 minute wait. I had planned on canceling the pre-order since I wasn't expecting to get it till 10/5, but it was too late. It got delivered today.

Obviously the preordered phone can't port my original number since its been ported to the one I bought at the apple store. I know I have a 30 day window to just return the preordered phone, but are there any options for me to sell it? The phone I got today is still in the plastic wrap.

30 day? Unless something has changed again that ended a long time ago. 72 hours is what they give you now.

Apple has a 30-day return policy but I think most cell phone companies in the US it's 14 days. So you can return it to Apple within 30 days but after the 14th day you are stuck with a 2 year contract from Verizon. If you keep the Verizon phone, you would still owe them 2 years of service.

If you decide to sell your pre ordered iPhone Verizon will charge you full retail for the phone. What you are considering doing is fraud. It's like saying "yeah I agree to buy this phone for 299 and sign a 2 year contract" and then backing out of it and taking the iPhone with you. So if you sell it you will just probably make enough to cover the bill you WILL get from Verizon

I worked for Verizon and we had people trying this all the time

kwalt21 said:
If you decide to sell your pre ordered iPhone Verizon will charge you full retail for the phone. What you are considering doing is fraud. It's like saying "yeah I agree to buy this phone for 299 and sign a 2 year contract" and then backing out of it and taking the iPhone with you. So if you sell it you will just probably make enough to cover the bill you WILL get from Verizon

I worked for Verizon and we had people trying this all the time

I don't think the op was suggesting he cancel the contract but rather just sell his now extra iPhone

I don't think the op was suggesting he cancel the contract but rather just sell his now extra iPhone

Yes and that's what I said. With his original pre order he had a contract agreement that was going to be signed when he activated his iPhone. When he went into the store he started a completely new contract separate from the original. He bought the phone for the 299.99 price for the pre order and that's a contract price. If he would just keep the pre order iPhone Verizon would eventually send him a bill for full retail being he didn't sign a contract for that particular iPhone 5.

The simple way would be return the Apple store phone for a refund and keep the phone ordered from Verizon. All legal with a happy ending.

The simple way would be return the Apple store phone for a refund and keep the phone ordered from Verizon. All legal with a happy ending.

That's what I'm doing, tomorrow just wondering what were all my options. Thanks everyone.