What's new

Camera disappointing?

jntdroid

Reaction score
I hate to be a naysayer, but honestly I'm not impressed by the camera so far (I have the 8, not 8 Plus). Don't get me wrong, it's very good. But one reason I have preferred the iPhone camera over Samsung the past couple of years is the ability of Apple to provide minimally sharpened and "close to life" colors in their photos. So far, the 8 is taking a page out of Samsung's book and over-sharpening, over-processing, and "over-popping" the colors. It can help in lower light shots (sometimes, not all the time), but in good light, they don't look as good as my 6S shots. It's much more noticeable with humans in the photo - their faces are where you can really see it. If it's a bunch of inanimate objects, it's less noticeable and at times looks really nice, even if not true to life...

Am I crazy? I'm willing to accept that conclusion. ;)

If you are within driving distance of an Apple store (mine is 35 miles away-not bad to me) they have two free photo classes which may be helpful. I’m signed up for the iPhone photo class and the people and places photo class too. Personally I enjoy the classes even after years with owning Apple products and always learn something new.

If you are within driving distance of an Apple store (mine is 35 miles away-not bad to me) they have two free photo classes which may be helpful. I’m signed up for the iPhone photo class and the people and places photo class too. Personally I enjoy the classes even after years with owning Apple products and always learn something new.

Thanks for that suggestion, I might have to look into that. I've used a lot of phones and cameras over the years, and while I'm not a photo expert, so to speak, I'm not sure if a class will change my general assertion on the iPhone 8's camera. But it's definitely worth looking into!

I’ve got a 6s and have an 8 plus on the way. I bought the plus because I wanted to get the better camera between the two 8’s offered. I’m hopeful for the 8 being better lol.

Do you think a camera app (something like Obscura) help?

Thanks for that suggestion, I might have to look into that. I've used a lot of phones and cameras over the years, and while I'm not a photo expert, so to speak, I'm not sure if a class will change my general assertion on the iPhone 8's camera. But it's definitely worth looking into!

I have a 6 and my wife has the 7plus right now. I feel thatthe 7plus camera is superior to the 6 and haven't notice a problem like you described. I'll get some test shots with the X when I receive it and see if it has a similar issue.

I love the camera on my iPhone8! It is much, much better than on the 6th I had before. Just in case, maybe there is something wrong with your phone, maybe the camera is dirty or anything else? Because I just cannot believe you are disappointed with the 8th because it is just impossible LOL
Joking aside - you could try contacting EDITED They have a free estimate, helped me with my camera problem. Actually, it required replacement, but in any case, it is worth trying for you.

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the camera on my iPhone8! It is much, much better than on the 6th I had before. Just in case, maybe there is something wrong with your phone, maybe the camera is dirty or anything else? Because I just cannot believe you are disappointed with the 8th because it is just impossible LOL
Joking aside - you could try contacting EDITED They have a free estimate, helped me with my camera problem. Actually, it required replacement, but in any case, it is worth trying for you.
Since the iPhone 8 is still under warranty, it would be better to take it to an Apple Store or an authorized service centre rather than a third party repair service that will void the warranty if they’re not authorized by Apple to work on iPhones.