What's new

Calendar question

Bacchus

Reaction score
I have a recurring entry in my calendar that was originally established quite some time ago when I had my previous phone, an iPhone 4, and which was copied over to my present 5s along with everything else. This entry was set for every third Thursday of the month.

This entry is no longer valid but I can't seem to delete it. I clicked on 'delete' for this month, November, and a box pops up offering me a choice of deleting this entry or deleting all future entries. It doesn't matter which I select, it doesn't get deleted. I tried deleting it both in December and in October but nothing happens.

What am I missing??

When you originally created this event, did you create it on the iPhone 4 or was it created in Outlook or in any other way using iCloud Sharing? You may have to turn off iCloud Sharing, delete all future events and then turn iCloud Sharing back on again.

I also found this advise from someone on another forum:
Go to settings/icloud and disable contacts and calendars as well. Delete items from phone: yes. Do the same in settings/Mail,Contacts, Calendars for all accounts that have a contacts and calendar green tab on. Say yes to deleting items from phone. This doesn't delete the items from the icloud or internet, just removes them from your phone. Some people will notice this still does not remove the events from the phone. Now plug the phone into the computer and open iTunes. Click on your phone in devices. This should open you summary page of your phone. On the top choose Info. By turning off all the settings, you should now have the ability to sync events from you Mac to iPhone. It should be the bottom last option on the page. Choose calendar and then sync your computer. This will finally remove all the stuck events in calendar for all types of calendars such as google calendar, etc. Now go back and turn on all the contact and calendars you disabled. That's what finally worked for me. Just a note, I have my phone sync to my computer and not the cloud so that also may be an option you may need to temporarily turn on for this process to work.

Wow. That seems a bit complicated. And you're sure I won't lose the rest of my calendar postings? At my age I have a lot of doctor appointments scheduled - some of them kinda far out, calendar-wise. I'd hate to lose them or take the time to write them all down as insurance against losing them.

Also, I'm sure it's not important but you mentioned syncing to my Mac. I use a PC. I assume the meaning is the same, though.

But, getting back to the main point, if there's a chance of losing the postings I'll just continue to live with the annoying one.

Thanks for your input, Bear. It's appreciated.. :)

Wow. That seems a bit complicated. And you're sure I won't lose the rest of my calendar postings? At my age I have a lot of doctor appointments scheduled - some of them kinda far out, calendar-wise. I'd hate to lose them or take the time to write them all down as insurance against losing them.

Also, I'm sure it's not important but you mentioned syncing to my Mac. I use a PC. I assume the meaning is the same, though.

But, getting back to the main point, if there's a chance of losing the postings I'll just continue to live with the annoying one.

If you back up to an external hard drive you can back up your calendar just in case.

Last edited:

I understand your concern and conclusion

Here's a follow-on question. I was just getting ready to back my iPhone up to my computer but I got a message from iTunes saying that my iPhone is synced with another iTunes library (and then identifying the library) and asking if I want to erase this iPhone and sync with the iTunes library that's on my computer.

When iTunes mentions 'library' are they talking only what music or apps I might have in iTunes? It scares me when they talk about erasing anything that's in my iPhone..