What's new

Broken iphone 5 - Can it be repaired or Information regained?

Zeke80

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have an iphone 5 that had broken front and back glass. We purchased the new pieces and my husband was in the process of reattaching the internal guts (sorry I'm not sure what exactly, looked like circuit boards). He went to reattach one of the tiny cords (best think I think of is a ribbon cable on a computer motherboard) to something and the cord snapped. The phone will not power on or anything. Is it possible to have this fixed or to pull my pictures off or it is a lost cause. I would think that someone could somehow replace the cord or hook my "motherboard" to a different phone and get the information off. I already have a new phone, I just wanted the pictures of my kids off the old broken one.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

No idea whether or not this can be fixed, sorry!

If it's possible to repair the broken device, so that it can be turned on, you'll be able to get the pictures stored on it. Otherwise you won't be able to recover them from the iPhone directly.

Do you use iCloud Photo Library? If so, you can access the images from a computer. Go to www.icloud.com on a browser and login. Go to Photos. You should find the pictures there, and you'll be able to download them.
If you use iCloud Photo Library on a new iPhone, the images will sync to it automatically.

If you don't use iCloud Photo Library, the photos stored on your current (broken) device should be included in a backup to iTunes or iCloud. So when you set up a new iPhone, use a backup when you set it up.

Check out ifixit. It's pretty much the one stop shop for repairing electronics.