What's new

Brand new iPhone 6s 64gt upgrade to iOS 10 immediately

laakspen

Reaction score
Hi!
I have now brand new iPhone 6s 64gt iOS9 without any settings and personalisation.
Can I update it to iOS10 (or is clever to update) before I take into use (load apps, do my settings etc)?
Or is it clever first do all settings and install apps etc?

When I take phone backup, does it backup the whole phone (iOS and other stuff) or only my own settings and apps and data?
If something odd happens in the upgrade can I easily roll my phone back to iOS 9?

Best Regards
laakspen

You could do the update first, then set up the phone as you desire. Do you have a backup from a previous iPhone?
Apple is still signing iOS 9.3.5 but that could change at any moment.

Hi!
Thanks scifan57!
I don't have backup from previous iPhone. I start this phone from scratch.
Maybe I take iTunes backup from this "empty" iPhone anyway to be sure.
I assume it does not backup iOS or does it? If not where the old iOS is found if something goes wrong?

Best Regards
laakspen

Hi Laakspen, You would need to activate the phone before updating. You could simply set it up as new and immediately download IOS 10. Have you owned an iPhone before, which you have backed up? If you wanted to download that backup you would have to do it before upgrading to IOS 10.
The iCloud backup stores all your settings and data, except for email, which is stored on servers.
As for downgrading after you have installed IOS 10, this is still possible for as long as Apple continues to sign it.

If you have a fresh install of iOS 10 on your iPhone and are setting it up,as a new iPhone, there's no reason to do a backup first.

Hi carolineM and scifan57!

Thank you!
I have no previous iPhone backup. I have contacts which I import to this phone. I have contacts in .csv file. I converd those to vCard structure and then upload to iPhone using iCloud.
The iPhone 6s has now iOS 9.
I activate the phone first. Then I upgrade iOS 9 to iOS 10.
After this I start setting it up to my phone and import contacts, install apps etc.

One question still. Do I have to first update the phone to latest iOS 9.x before I upgrade it to iOS 10? I don't know if this unactivated factory settings iPhone 6s has now latest iOS 9.

Do you agree with my procedure to set up the phone?

BR
laakspen

Hi carolineM and scifan57!

Thank you!
I have no previous iPhone backup. I have contacts which I import to this phone. I have contacts in .csv file. I converd those to vCard structure and then upload to iPhone using iCloud.
The iPhone 6s has now iOS 9.
I activate the phone first. Then I upgrade iOS 9 to iOS 10.
After this I start setting it up to my phone and import contacts, install apps etc.

One question still. Do I have to first update the phone to latest iOS 9.x before I upgrade it to iOS 10? I don't know if this unactivated factory settings iPhone 6s has now latest iOS 9.

Do you agree with my procedure to set up the phone?

BR
laakspen

Hi Laakspen,

You have got it! Just go to General in settings and you will see Software Update - just go ahead and instal.
Enjoy your new phone!

Hi!
Thank you both!
My iPhone is now running iOS 10.0.2.
I used iTunes to update. Everything went smooth!

Have a nice day!
BR
laakspen

Hi!
Thank you both!
My iPhone is now running iOS 10.0.2.
I used iTunes to update. Everything went smooth!

Have a nice day!
BR
laakspen
I'm glad it went well for you. If you have any other problems or questions, don't hesitate to come back.