What's new

Bluetooth shows connected

DaveM

Reaction score
After moving to iOS 11 I find that the Bluetooth symbol at the top of the screen shows that the phone is connected to Bluetooth. I do have a Jabra Bluetooth speakerphone in the car, but it automatically disconnects after the car sits idle for a few minutes. This only started after upgrading to iOS 11. I've tried turning the phone off and back on, and tried a hard reset. There are no other Bluetooth devices that the phone connects to. Battery life seems to have degraded significantly and as of right now I'm blaming it on this issue. Any ideas?

My 6S Plus on iOS11 has strange things happening with Bluetooth too. My phone rings but my truck no longer does so if my mute is on I never hear calls on Bluetooth. Used to work perfectly until the upgrade

It will also just at random times disconnect from my headphones or truck and never did before.

Just to clarify my original post...
I'm used to seeing the bluetooth symbol at the top of my screen, but it's usually grayed out because I'm not normally connected to a bluetooth device. When I get in my car the phone connects to the Jabra speakerphone and the bluetooth symbol turns white instead of grayed out. My problem now is that even when I'm not connected to a bluetooth device the bluetooth symbol stays white, indicating that the phone is connected to something.

Learned something interesting...My wife has an iPhone 6 (on iOS 11) that's doing exactly the same thing. Problem is, hers has never been paired to a bluetooth device - ever. This seems pretty clear that there's a glitch in iOS 11.

My iPhone 7 shows like yours with a white Bluetooth symbol when not connected.
But when I’m connected to my headset it shows a headset instead of the Bluetooth symbol and also I shows a battery symbol for my headset to indicate the charge.
I’m on iOS 11.
Can try how it looks on my car when I get home and get back here.View attachment 36338View attachment 36338

Mine shows the headset when connected and white (unless on a white screen then it is black) Bluetooth icon. My headphone battery went away after updating.

Giving this thread a bump because I'm really still wondering what's going on with this. Aren't there others whose bluetooth icon is showing constantly connected?

Afaik, you have to turn off Bluetooth in Settings now, if you wish to deactivate it completely. It’s not possible any more to do this in the Control Centre.

Last edited:
Afaik, you have to turn off Bluetooth in Settings now. It’s not possible any more to do this in the Control Centre.
I understand J.A. Turning it off in the control center just disconnects it from whatever device it's connected to. It doesn't turn off bluetooth completely.
However, what I'm referring to is that it used to be that when bluetooth was on and connected it always showed a white bluetooth icon. When it was on but disconnected the icon went gray. Now it's never gray. Whenever the icon is showing, it's white.

I understand J.A. Turning it off in the control center just disconnects it from whatever device it's connected to. It doesn't turn off bluetooth completely.
However, what I'm referring to is that it used to be that when bluetooth was on and connected it always showed a white bluetooth icon. When it was on but disconnected the icon went gray. Now it's never gray. Whenever the icon is showing, it's white.
The white icons shows that the feature is still active.

So J.A. are you saying that the bluetooth icon no longer turns gray when the phone's bluetooth is disconnected from any devices? If so, I haven't seen anything about that anywhere.

As long as Bluetooth is enabled in your settings, the icon in the status bar is visible, showing that the feature is active, even if you’re not connected to an accessory or device. That seems to be a new feature in iOS 11.

I’ve found a few posts on other sites complaining about this, because now you can’t distinguish between “device connected” and “no device connected” any more, when you look at the status bar.

As long as Bluetooth is enabled in your settings, the icon in the status bar is visible, showing that the feature is active, even if you’re not connected to an accessory or device. That seems to be a new feature in iOS 11.

I’ve found a few posts on other sites complaining about this, because now you can’t distinguish between “device connected” and “no device connected” any more, when you look at the status bar.
Well that's a disappointment. Not too often that Apple disappoints me, but this is one. That was a handy feature. I won't bore you with the details, but I have some situations where it was nice to be able to be able to tell at a glance if my Jabra speakerphone was connected. Does Apple have a system in place to ask for features to be added or reinstated?