What's new

Blast from the Past

J. A.

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a bug that appeared on iPads and iPhones recently, and it seems that some people try to take advantage of it to brick iDevices. They promise a classical Macintosh theme, and prepare you for a "wild ride". The latter seems to be true:
If you set back your date to January 1, 1970, and then restart it, this will make it impossible to use it again. The only solution would be to take it to the next Apple store, or get a new one.

For more information, see here:
FALSE: Apple's Blast from the Past

A news article today said that if you remove the battery and replace it it forces the iPhone to re-set the date. Problem solved....

A news article today said that if you remove the battery and replace it it forces the iPhone to re-set the date. Problem solved....
You're right, removing the battery would help too. But if you do this yourself, you void the warranty of your iDevice, and the procedure is complicated.

Ah, so. I wasn't aware of that. The news article didn't mention it.

In the town I live in there's a business that sells batteries of all kinds and lamp bulbs. They advertise that they replace smartphone batteries. Do you suppose a place like that may be qualified to change a battery without voiding the warranty?

I don't have the problem in question but I could call this business and ask if they're authorized....

Ah, so. I wasn't aware of that. The news article didn't mention it.

In the town I live in there's a business that sells batteries of all kinds and lamp bulbs. They advertise that they replace smartphone batteries. Do you suppose a place like that may be qualified to change a battery without voiding the warranty?

I don't have the problem in question but I could call this business and ask if they're authorized....
Unless they're an Apple authorized service centre, the iPhone warranty would be voided. A call to check before going would definitely be a good idea for anyone needing assistance for the problem.