What's new

Best Way to Create A Mobile App

Tux

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a website with a mobile site all in place. I want to create an iPhone app that would essentially be my mobile site (i.e. the same design and features). I figured the easiest way to do this would to take a web browser and only allow it to view my site. Is this A. Possible? and B. The best way of going about it? I have a decent amount of programming experience, but don't really want to have to build a whole app that does exactly what my site already accomplishes. I've never done any iPhone apps, but I believe I should be able to figure out what to do.

-Nick

Hello all,

I have a website with a mobile site all in place. I want to create an iPhone app that would essentially be my mobile site (i.e. the same design and features). I figured the easiest way to do this would to take a web browser and only allow it to view my site. Is this A. Possible? and B. The best way of going about it? I have a decent amount of programming experience, but don't really want to have to build a whole app that does exactly what my site already accomplishes. I've never done any iPhone apps, but I believe I should be able to figure out what to do.

-Nick

No idea. This questions way too technical for me!

iHolophyte

Well if you already have a mobile site in place, then why do you want an app? After all, it does cost you an extra 100 bucks. BTW, what is the site?

And no, I don't think that this is possible.

Its a blogging website, but with some extra content. What do you mean it costs 100 bucks?

Apple charges you $99 per year in order to submit your apps to the store. Same with Microsoft, but Android is free. You can pay this after the app is fully developed, but you won't get the most recent version of Xcode, and you won't be able to test the app on a real phone (the simulator is free though). Go to developer.apple.com to learn more, or pepper me with some more questions.

Ah, I see, I didn't realize that. Thanks for your help!

Well android and other smart phone applications are mostly made using the software's of Java. Try reading the features as to what Java provides and see for your self whether your application can be made using Java or not.

Take a look at XPages by IBM Lotus. Create apps for the iPhone using the (JSF based) XPage design elements in the free Lotus Domino Designer . Download at http://m.ibm.com/http/www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/notesanddomino/

Lotus Domino Designer is built on Eclipse and has continually evolved and complimented programming trends. Just not marketed too well in this way. But don't take my word , take a look yourself.

Putting a separate app in the store for each language is NOT the way to go. The iPhone SDK handles multiple languages with grace, and you only need to have a single app with all the various translations. The iPhone's locale setting will direct your app as to which language to use.

jacob11 said:
Putting a separate app in the store for each language is NOT the way to go. The iPhone SDK handles multiple languages with grace, and you only need to have a single app with all the various translations. The iPhone's locale setting will direct your app as to which language to use.

Domino Designer supports language plus lots more and runs on Mac OS. the smart phone / tablet market has given mobile access to more non- Mac users and represents a shift in development environments especially in the corporate enterprise. The iPhone SDK is just one of many other ways to dev a UI. Designer should be investigated especially its Xpages smart phone control modules for easy access to back end data. Times have changed and I do like the SDK from Apple. But I do not have a Mac OS machine. Fortunately we have these other tools.

You could also use Adobe's designing suite. Super expensive, but well worth it. Look up Flash Professional CS5.5. Direct integration with all other venerable Adobe apps, like Photoshop and Premiere Pro and Illustrator, as well as Dreamweaver and much more.