What's new

Best case for a cop?

bkosonen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I use my phone for my job daily for running backgrounds, logging calls ect. What case would you point me to. I'm thinking the otter box. If I could get something that can go on my duty belt that would be handy. But thought I would ask you guys so if there is something I have not heard about let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I use my phone for my job daily for running backgrounds, logging calls ect. What case would you point me to. I'm thinking the otter box. If I could get something that can go on my duty belt that would be handy. But thought I would ask you guys so if there is something I have not heard about let me know. Thanks

How are you running backgrounds/logging reports on your iPhone?

The Otterbox Defender would be a good choice for you; however you also might consider looking into the Griffin Survivor case, if you can locate one. The Survivor is rated US Mil-STD-810F/UK Def Stan 00-35; something that the Otterbox doesn't claim to be.

Griffin Technology: Survivor - Extreme-Duty Case for iPhone 4

Unlike the Otterbox, this case protects against wind-driven rain and blown dust/sand. Being that you are a cop, this type of protection would likely prove useful to you since y'all have to work outside in weather that would keep even the ducks at home.

I have the otterbox....don't like it too much. Holster doesn't fit on my duty belt...not that I carry it there....get the Seidio rugged. U can take off the extra protection when you're off duty and still have a top notch case. Best option by far in my opinion.

Being retired I was wondering the same thing. Although I would imagine to run a backround he would just call it in, but I thought that was what radios were for.

Being retired I was wondering the same thing. Although I would imagine to run a backround he would just call it in, but I thought that was what radios were for.

We use radios. But I can look up past information.

Hi, may be you'd better have an iPhone Holster - they have all the same functionality of a case, plus a Face-in Belt Clip Holster.

oriongadgets sell them for an average price of 10 bucks, with free s&h.

Bump anyone else.

I personally carry my cell in my chest pocket behind my notepad. I use an apple bumper and carbon fiber rear protection with screen protector in the front. Since our uniforms have a button for the chest pockets, I don't have to worry about if falling out while running. Of course, if I have to use force, there is always the chance of it getting crushed, but thats why I put it behind my notepad. With it between my notepad and armor, its fairly well protected.

Carrying it on duty belt is a bad idea because if you carry it on your right side, its going to get beat up by the seatbelt receiver, or radio stack (depending on how your unit layed out) If its on your left side, it could get struck by the door getting in and out of your vehicle. My department uses a mix of Crown Vic and Dodge Chargers. There is a little more room in the Ford, but definitely a slightly tighter fit in the Dodge.

Just do what I do... buy insurance on the phone, and try not to beat it up too bad. When working nights, or busy shifts, I remove the phone entirely and stick it up in the visor.

You should also check out the LifeProof Case that just came out, it's got less bulk than the other cases and is also military standard tested. It's also waterproof to 2 meters. I came across this as I'm applying to the academy here in Tempe, AZ in the fall and was looking for a case to use on the job.

A lot of cops here in jax use the Otterbox defender, and that really is the best case to use, until LifeProof starts offering a belt clip. The Lifeproof is thin enough, that it isn't uncomfortable in your pocket. if you have to chase a perp into the water, and you are wearing your otterbox defender case on your belt clip, your IPhone will be destroyed. If you have the Lifeproof case in your pocket when you chase that same perp, your IPhone will be completely dry after struggling with the bad guy.

I think this kind case will be useful for you:

OR Moshi cover:

checkout this holster: crazyondigital.com/iphone4-hrzn-lthr-blk01.html or this one crazyondigital.com/iphone4-hrzn-lthr-brwn.html. I currently have the black one and it holds my iphone4 in place pretty well. It connects to any belt.

shaily123 said:
I like incase better than the otterbox.

Although I don't have a personal liking for law enforcement officers, I would really hate to see them destroy a perfectly good piece of hardware on a criminal. So otter box and the griffen survivors should be the only recommendations in my opinion.