What's new

Battery question

aps510

Reaction score
Should I fully discharge the battery the first few times for my new Iphone 7 plus?

Thanks, I'm slowly waiting for it to go down. Had the phone off the charger since noon yesterday and it's only down to 20%.

Thanks, I'm slowly waiting for it to go down. Had the phone off the charger since noon yesterday and it's only down to 20%.
The more you use your new iPhone, the faster the battery drain. Playing videos or games with high intensity graphics will drain the battery faster than listening to music, for example.

You're welcome.

One very important thing to remember is to make sure a fully discharged battery is never allowed to remain in that state. Leaving a lithium ion battery discharged for an extended period of time can permanently damage the battery.
This ^^^^

Most people don't understand that lithium batteries cannot remain drained otherwise they will damage. Putting a device in a drawer dead and leaving it there, will guarantee battery issues when you decide to break it out and start using it again.

Conditioning the battery is not necessary for modern lithium ion batteries. Apple does recommend one full discharge and charge cycle once a month to keep the battery percentage indicator calibrated.
I don't think Apple still recommends a full discharge monthly any more.

I agree with the statement that this is not necessary with batteries used in many of our devices today. I put mine on the charger at night when I go to bed. That is really the only time I charge it unless I am in the car and I usually leave it charging there.

The full discharge and recharge was intended to calibrate the charge indicator on the device, not to condition the battery in any way.