What's new

Battery problem

Patriks7

Reaction score
Hello. I have been recently having issues with my iPhone 5. The battery seems to drain a bit too quickly and at times, it will show me that I have around 10% battery life and then it will shut down. After a couple minutes if I try to turn it on, sometimes it's completely dead but other times it turns back on and the battery is at a higher % (for example, this morning it died at 8% and then turned on at 35%).

I got this phone as a replacement about a year ago as I had an issue with the button on my original, so the battery isn't that old. I tried to look into what my battery health is and the best option I found was this app called iBackupbot. I'll post the results below. Now I'm not sure what the issue is, the cycle count doesn't seem to be very high, but the capacity seems quite low.

Any suggestions what I should do?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 11.13.24.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 11.13.24.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 571
Hello. I have been recently having issues with my iPhone 5. The battery seems to drain a bit too quickly and at times, it will show me that I have around 10% battery life and then it will shut down. After a couple minutes if I try to turn it on, sometimes it's completely dead but other times it turns back on and the battery is at a higher % (for example, this morning it died at 8% and then turned on at 35%).

I got this phone as a replacement about a year ago as I had an issue with the button on my original, so the battery isn't that old. I tried to look into what my battery health is and the best option I found was this app called iBackupbot. I'll post the results below. Now I'm not sure what the issue is, the cycle count doesn't seem to be very high, but the capacity seems quite low.

Take it to your nearest Apple Store and have them check it out. There is a program going on with certain iPhone 5's being replace because of battery issues. Yours could be one of them. If its not they can check it out for you and let you know what's up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Take it to your nearest Apple Store and have them check it out. There is a program going on with certain iPhone 5's being replace because of battery issues. Yours could be one of them. If its not they can check it out for you and let you know what's up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
To find out if your iPhone 5 is covered under the free battery replacement program, go to this Apple page and enter the serial number of your iPhone 5. iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support

Thanks for the replies. I already checked the replacement program and, unfortunately, my phone isn't covered. I would take it to an Apple Store, but where I live, we only have "authorised resellers" and those either seem to be way overpriced or unwilling to do any work.

I'm starting to think the issue might be related to the iOS 8 update, so maybe my next step could be to restore the phone as new (as much as I hate doing that). But since the battery capacity is so much lower now, I think I might look into replacing the battery. I found pretty cheap batteries and kits online. Is it worth it? And for those that have done it, is it difficult to do?

While I'm definitely not "happy" to hear you are having this problem - because believe you me, I know EXACTLY how mad & frustrated you are - I have been eager to find someone else having this same problem. My iPhone 5s is 5 months old (as of 2 days ago) and I never EVER had one minutes trouble prior to the iOS8 update. I couldn't believe it when I read your post because it's like you've got my phone - same identical problems!!! Actually, I have two different (stemming from same core issue) problems: First ~ Mine sometimes shuts itself down and turns itself right back on @ 54%, 37%, 24%, etc. Second ~ It also shuts itself down @ high %'s and will NOT Power itself back on and when I try turning it back on, it shows the battery drained (like it does when there is legitimately no charge remaining) knowing good and well that's incorrect. Believe this or not, (of course I know YOU believe this) I have to plug my phone into the charger - and after ONLY 2 OR 3 MINUTES I turn it back on and THE BATTERY SHOWS WHAT IT WAS WHEN IT TURNED ITSELF OFF EVEN THOUGH 2-3 MINUTES PRIOR IT SHOWED ME A DRAINED BATTERY (the highest % so far being 67% @ cutoff)!!! Unbelievable! I also have additional issues where I'll be in an app and I will be thrown out to my home page. While I have heard of this happening before with other people prior to system update, it had never happened to me with this iPhone or my previous iPhones. However, even though it has happened with a good many apps, it could be that the developers aren't correctly updating their apps to run on the new iOS8. So who knows...? But I do know this one thing for sure -> as much as I paid for this phone, have paid for past iPhones, and pay monthly in order to talk, work, & practically run my life (I am aware monthly service is different and has nothing to do with problems discussed above) -> I expect the darn thing to work!

Please let me know what you decided to do because I am still unsure. Like you, I do not want to do a system reset and I don't want (SHOULD NOT HAVE TO) to exchange mine for a refurbished phone. It looks to me like those are the only two choices and I don't like either!!!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer as well - if I can LOL! Hope you've found a resolve!

Sincerely,
Alrac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please let me know what you decided to do because I am still unsure. Like you, I do not want to do a system reset and I don't want (SHOULD NOT HAVE TO) to exchange mine for a refurbished phone. It looks to me like those are the only two choices and I don't like either!!!

Well damn, you perfectly explained the problems I am having. From the sounds of this, it looks like a problem with iOS 8. I already ordered a new battery and opening set from eBay, since the charge this one holds is a bit low. I am now deciding whether I should restore it as new now or once the battery, to see where the fault is.